Pulling away at lights

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Is it just me or does everyone else (at least those in front of me) wait until the car in front of them is moving before they start to move off.

How much quicker would things be if everyone attempted to move off at the same time.

I tend to start moving before the car in front of me does, is that just me?

Do you wait till the car in front of you starts moving until you put yours in gear.

Oh good I thought it was just me, I can't work out how I can be six cars back & still be ready to pull a way while everyone else still has their thumbs up their bum. In the ideal world the whole queue should move forward together in unison when the lights change. :lol:

If we all moved off together and remained the same distance apart as speed builds it would be very dangerous.

Move off with the one in front for sure but keep your speed lower that it so that the gap available increases as speed increases.

i know what you mean waynne,

because most drivers do this, its probably part of the reason theres very bad rush hour

It's also the amount of time some drivers seem to need to establish that they can safely enter and leave a junction or roundabout.

It's not compulsory to give way.

By which I mean that if there's nothing approaching you can continue. You don't have to stop and wait for something to come along so you can give right of way to it!!!!

This often worries me - if a driver is totally incapable of determining that it's safe to continue without further delay then surely they're also incapable of determining that they should be taking decisions to reduce their speed in the event of a potentially hazardous situation ahead.

Hesitation works both ways - if you hesitate when you should be slowing it's even more dangerous than hesitating when you should be getting a move on and making progress.

lol yeah very annoying, "oh its green ill just start to put it into first"

im usually in first on amber and set off while still amber no time to loose :lol:

Its when the lights have gone green, then they waight for the car to pull off infront before letting the hand break off and getting into gear!!!! Now that really gets me!!!

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THESE DRIVERS THAT APPLYS THE HAND BREAK EVERY TIME YOU STOP, WHEN YOUR IN A QUEUE AND YOU SEE IT MOVING, GET READY!!!!!