Puddles, splash or swerve

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When it comes to large puddles at the side of the road do you splash through them or swerve around them?

I tend to swerve round them, I don't like the idea of water getting in the engine, but some drivers seem to aim for them and make as big a splash as they can.

Small puddles are fine. Modern cars are perfectly alright to be subjected to puddles. I do tend to either slow right down to a crawl on a smaller roads when confronted with massive puddles or if there is room swerve all together and miss it.

I try and drive around the large ones if safe to do so, if I have no alternative then I crawl through so as to keep my car clean and the potential pedestrians dry

I once caught the flu being splashed by a lorry in Chelmsford a few years back. I was drenched in filthy drain water.... Wouldn't ever inflict that on any one.

Being splashed by a car driving through a ruddy big puddle just isn't funny; in anyway shape or form.
Walking back to my car this afternoon, I had to keep stopping and checking the traffic when I spotted what looked like a small lake by the kerb.