Poor Man's ECU

coronan

Car
VW TDI
Has anyone played with sensor doping. (Modifying sensor outputs to increase performance?) Like a DIY piggy back ecu.

Since toyotas are said to be hard to remap.

I know with he VW's the ECU pull back timming after the car has warmed up. Tricking the ECU to believe the Coolant, Fuel, Intake Air, is cooler yeilds more power via timming.

The ecu retards for nox at the sacrafice of power and economy.

****Comments?*******

You get what you pay for. This sort of thing is really crude. The best way of doing it is using a proper aftermarket ECU like the Apexi Power FC or similar.

Some bodges cause the car to run rich or can play up as the temperature changes and it ends up being out of range! Most of the cheap plug in boxes on ebay use a resistor to fool the ECU into thinking the air is cooler. If you want sooty plugs, a worn catalyst and other issues then this is the way to go.

I've yet to see any real power claims backed up with a rolling road report.

i know its bigger in the US with the tubroed VWs tricking the MAP sensor so the boost can be wound up. ok you get more power but how much damage are you doing running that lean

This is getting off topic, but, I have a diesel and can run as lean as I want. The Map Shares the input with the IAT at the ECU. You cant modify one with out affecting the other. The ecu switches reading between the 2 sensors.

I'm not talking about tuning a race car for drag or track. I 5,000 GVWR toyota van powered by a 2.2L, that i'm trying to get a little more out of.

I'm taking about fooling the ECU to not do stupid stuff to recduce polution (like reatard timming to recude nox).

Does any one have any links to DIY tuning boxes used the an 87 toyota 4y ECU???

true i thought it was a general question. still not a fan of doing it but surely modifling a MAP sensor or IAT so they read lower would allow more boost

it can be cheaper buyin the ecu and installing it as ive done with greddy emanage. i have my car running and tunned to run but not fine tuned which i tink is expensive to get done as i was quoted 150 an hour so either way it could work more than u want

You get what you pay for. This sort of thing is really crude. The best way of doing it is using a proper aftermarket ECU like the Apexi Power FC or similar.

Some bodges cause the car to run rich or can play up as the temperature changes and it ends up being out of range! Most of the cheap plug in boxes on ebay use a resistor to fool the ECU into thinking the air is cooler. If you want sooty plugs, a worn catalyst and other issues then this is the way to go.

I've yet to see any real power claims backed up with a rolling road report.
Exactly !

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back