Poly bushes noisy

HugoBoss

The Torque Meister
Car
r33 skyline gtst
Ive just fitted polybushes to the back end of my stagea which runs skyline GTR suspension very similar to yours . Changed all the hub bushes , all the other steering arm bushes that were not rose joints, diff bushes and last but not least the subframe bushes

NO SQUEAKS just a much better feel.

Just cos the intewbby says so doesnt make it fact . You can find almost any idea on the net - electric fan "superchargers" comes to mind first.

The last one is IMHO where someone has tightened the bushes too much or more likely fitted the wrong ones ( or cheap stuff from China )

If you are going to fit polybushes you should use a known brand like whiteline or superpro
cheap ebay ones made in china will be worse than what you have now and they may well squeak

Or you could just go on a skyline forum and look through the many threads of same . No body I know has even taken them out after they fitted them

What people don't realise is that Polybushes are not fit and forget, like standard rubber ones.

Rubber bushes allow suspension movement by the rubber flexing. There is no flexing in poly bushes so the suspension has to move on the steel sleeves. These have to be greased regularly otherwise they dry out and metal on metal and/or metal on polybush will squeak.

QED

What is the benefit of getting poly bushes as opposed to getting replacement rubber ones then?
When you say greasing regularly how often would you say?

This is just the opinion of an old git :)

On a road car, new standard bushes are better than polybushes. They don't need regular maintenance and don't transmit as much road noise.

The reason for fitting polybushes, as far as I can see, is to reduce the amount of play in suspension components so the geometry can be more accurately set up and won't go out of alignment on hard cornering (ie racing).

IMO you can't drive a car hard enough and long enough, legally, on the road to gain any benefit over new standard bushes, but you have all of the disadvantages.

If you don't keep polybushes properly lubricated they will start to squeak and wear, negating any perceived advantage over standard bushes.

In my opinion, for road use, I think that it is similar to the bigger the exhaust the better argument. Everyone is doing it so they must be good and they score points in the supermarket car park bragging contest.

My project car will be used for drag racing and sprinting and be road legal. 700Kg, 520bhp and not a polybush in sight. Rod ends for adjustment and new standard bushes everywhere else.

If there is anyone on here that is an expert on polybushes and their use, then I am more than happy to be re-educated on their road car advantages.

Cant fault your post at all OG but I do do track days.

If fact it was a visit to brands that prompted me to re do the back end.

Despite having quite a bit more power than standard ( 570 ish rather than 240) the stagea always seemed pretty stable on the road . However trying to get the power on coming into clearways quickly showed up its limitations. No way was full boost an option.:blink:

To make any real difference everything had to be changed .

Thats drop the back end and fit new whiteline subframe bushes ( not just a collar kit)

gmpbush_zps538a07de.jpg

Quite a difference.

then uprated lower wishbone arms .adjustable top arms with rose joints . Alloy hubs ( half the weight of what came off,

Finally all rubber bushes swopped for whiteline polybushes inc diff ones.

but would I change a few polybushes on a standard road car - probably not

Thank you gentleman, all valid and helpful information, I am now completely indecisive, will have to weigh the pro's with the con's and take it from there. Once again thanks for your time.

Glad to be of assistance :)

Polybushes have a place in car modification, but not everyplace.