peugot 406 hdi 90 2 litre

jimali

Car
peugot 406 hdi 90 2
can anyone please give me some advice my peugot was going fine then the drive belt broke, i drove it to the garage without the drive belt and had a new tensioner and guide fitted.since then it is running really rough and smoke is billowing out of the exhaust.i am scared to use it until i can get it to the garage on monday.anyone any ideas what this could be. :sad2:

Can't have been the camshaft belt as that would have left the engine inoperable. The camshaft belt drives the fuel pump (which is NOT timed on common rail engines) and also the water pump so the car cannot have overheated. Maybe the timing belt has slipped thus making the valve timing incorrect.

Yeah was goon to say, if the aux belt has snapped then just replace it then everything should be fine.... Is there whit smoke coming from the exhaust

hi jarrus you are no.1 took car to garage today and it turns out part of the belt that broke had went in beside the timing belt and knocked it out.so they have cleaned the bits of belt out and reset the timing belt.
thanks for your advice :lol:

thanks for your advice was the timing belt knocked out by the broken belt.

That's a relief and a half :) Glad it's all sorted out for you now.

I had the 2.2 HDi with twice as many valves to wreck. Thankfully I never had issues of the type you've encountered, although the crankshaft pulley failed in 2009 leaving me with no battery charge and no PAS. Was not impressed but again the repair was under £100.

That's a relief and a half :) Glad it's all sorted out for you now.

I had the 2.2 HDi with twice as many valves to wreck. Thankfully I never had issues of the type you've encountered, although the crankshaft pulley failed in 2009 leaving me with no battery charge and no PAS. Was not impressed but again the repair was under £100.

Common problem on HDi's for some reason, 60k miles is usually how long they last, oddly though the XUD never suffered the same problem.

Common problem on HDi's for some reason, 60k miles is usually how long they last, oddly though the XUD never suffered the same problem.
Auxilliary drive belt and crankshaft pulley break-up is quite common on those engines and can just need a new belt or a new pulley (£135 plus fitting). I have seen several cases where bits of the belt have gone into the cam cover, got under the cam belt causing it to jump or break, both pretty dramatic and expensive.
The main cause of this is over tightening of the auxilliary belt. There are two tensioners, one sprung and accessible from the top, and a manual one accessible under the wing. In every case of failure i've seen, the manual one is wound round to maximum therefore the sprung one is on it's stop and the belt is overtight. The sprung one should be set in the middle of it's travel then the auxilliary belt will go on for ever but that means an extra journey up top to check it and often gets ignored.
If you've got one of these, it's easy to check under the bonnet by pushing down hard on the belt with a blunt instrument and watching to see the sprung tensioner has some movement. A two minute job that can save a fortune.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back