Oldies

aswearing

Torque Master
Car
Micra 160sr
old people. have they done anything recently thats annoyed you?
they have me: driving to my lasses house going down the A1 toward the a614 and i overtook a diesel vectra, as it was going slow. and i was tootling along whenit shot past me obviously speeding and slowed down in front of me.

i let it go as i had a bad day at work and was taking it easy, got to the roundabout where 2 left lanes are for carrying on on the A1 and the right lane is for going right (A614, sheffield and backwards) i was in the right lane old spiteful was in the middle left lane.

he swerved across road markings to within about a foot of my car, all i want to know is why are you driving, if you are reading this make yourself a member and share with the world why you thought that was clever?

happened to you recently?

rant over.

Oldies can be very poor road users (hopefully at 37 you don't see man as one!).

They seem capable of driving without attention at all. As long as they maintain 43 mph (town and open road) they think they're safe. Incidentally, 43mph is probably the lowest speed at whcih they can engage 5th gear without the engine stalling.

Beyond that - these folks are such good drivers that they can drive anywhere without any observation or thought at all!!

Some young boy racers can be a menace for sure. But at least they're looking and thinking about their actions.

I suspect the one you mention was trying to 'teach you a lesson'. I admire you for leaving it. I'd have wrestled hard with my nature not to pull them to the road side and get out of the car for a discussion about driving skills.

I've done it in the past.

Anyway, if said driver was in such a rush then;-

1: why go so slowly in the first place?

2: Having finally overtaken again, why then slow down?

Age doesn't always breed common sense.

Good luck.

i'm looking into lasers, machine guns and rockets...

incidentally in the same trip on the same road, i witnessed a man climbing out of a bmw saloon, quite hastily then slammed the drivers door and the literally ripped open the passenger door.

(thats all i saw as i drove by) i was just wondering, if you're reading, what was all that about? you seemed quite mad :D

I guess old people on the road annoy me in general and they think their better than us because they have more road exp, yeah right...

60 years ago all you had to do to pass the test was drive in a straight line, my how things have changed.

Most can't even manage a straight line now. Age isn't always of benefit when it comes to road skills. Holding a licence for two million years isn't the same as having driven 2 million miles. That's where a lot of them get it wrong.

I believe that everyone should be retested, often, at certain ages.

That should clear vast amounts of congestion forcing them all to use public transport leaving the roads open for those who can drive.

Most of the older people I know wouldn't have a hope in hell of passing the test now and they full admit that.

Most annoying thing I have to put up with on a regular basis, is that if I leave my Close and turn right, that bit of road becomes national speed limit a few hundreds yards down. Unfortunatly theres a garden centre down there and 8 times out of 10 you'll get stuck behind some old person doing 30mph down the whole stretch and then just after the garden centre it's 40mph.

So on the one bit of road where I can actually legally do 60mph I'm stuck doing 30 now that is annoying.

Oh and I completley agree, what is it with people accelerating to 50mph down the slip road to join a motorway doing 70? Are these people insane, you are going to cause an accident, duh, it doesn't take incredible skills in advanced mathematics to work that one out.

The funny thing is they then can't seem work out why no one wants to let them join the motorway, it's not that they don't want to, they can't because your not going fast enough :lol:

Sadly, that's so true. The slip lane is designed to be long enough so any car, no matter how spineless it is, can get to around 70mph.

What's more worrying is the amount of folks driving punchy machinery that have no bloody idea that the pedal does go down more than two millimetres and than it's not compulsory to change up at 1500rpm!!

sumtimes you have to change up at 1500 if you drivin a big wagon as sum redline at 1800 but come on. hdi you made a good point on another post where you father changes up then complained about lack of torque
most cars dont even have any pull below 2000 rpm. when a was learning to drive many moons ago (ok 5 years) i was always toldto get the speed up as quickly as possible

so wot was so different 50 - 60 years ago apart from cars gaining 3-4 times the power

I passed my test 20 years ago! And the same applied - get up to traffic speed briskly.

I agree, big HGV's don't usually go over 2500rpm but they're not the ones that get in the way.

It's the oldies in their Astras, Civis etc that bugger around at idle speed in third gear.

Until the last couple of years I drove an automatic, petrol Nissan (no, not a Micra). My dad loved it 'cos it went when you pushed the A pedal and stopped when you pushed the B one.

And then the stupid sod went and bought a 1.6 litre EIGHT VALVE ( I ask you) Astra estate, manual, and carefully hunted down one WITHOUT ABS.

THat's how daft they can be.

PS - we never stop learning. At 37 years I still try to improve my driving skills every time I drive anything, anywhere.

I've knocked up over 800,000 miles experience and there's still things I can do better with thought and attention. WE never stop learning. And that's not to say I'm a poor driver, far from it, but constant attention is far better than saying that I know best.

brand new skoda fabia, 1.4 diesel plenty of poke, but stayed at 26 mph.

my quarrel is the older generations eyesight, a car went to the centre markings to turn right, leaving plenty of space for his skoda, let alone my corsa. maybe even a tranny van. anyway, tried to pass through which took a long time and ended up kerbing the alloy wheels.

perception changes with age and it is concerning as he proceeded to go down a dead end road and tried to turn onto a 1 way street - at the wrong end.

anytime i see glasses with thick coke bottle bottom lenses, i panic and keep my distance.

aswearing said:
anytime i see glasses with thick coke bottle bottom lenses, i panic and keep my distance.

the big problem is that even if an ophthalmologist (eye doc) says that they recommened that they shouldnt be driving it still fall to the patient to decide if they inform the dvla

the only reason i know this is coz the wife works as a seccy in the eye dept and she says it crazy how many old people are nearly blind but they decide that they are still fine to drive. she thinks the docs are powerless

I suppose it's possible that the oldies on the road maybe dislike driving as much as we dislike them doing it.

If public transport was up to standard then they'd maybe give up the car.

Of course, that means we'll all have to pay more for fuel etc. to fund the buses.

?? Ideas please....

good point, i would prefer to catch the bus to town but it i extortionate. as a child i paid 30p for a return to town which takes 10 mins each way, but now they charge you £1.65 for a single, thats £3.30 return.

parking in town is a quid and petrol would be around 80p there and back.

buses aren't always on time with this service and you don't get ignorance from pompous drivers.

aswearing said:
good point, i would prefer to catch the bus to town but it i extortionate. as a child i paid 30p for a return to town which takes 10 mins each way, but now they charge you £1.65 for a single, thats £3.30 return.
thats no bad last time a got a bus to go out with mates in another town it was £1.95 its only 4 miles away for me and the wife thats £3.90 a taxi was only £5

I think it's the case country wide, we all get stitched up to pay ever more for things that we need in order to live.

I want to know why a very rich person with a nice oil (diesel) powered pleasure boat gets away with red diesel prices for leisure purposes.

What if I drive my car 400 miles purely for fun? Can I have my fuel exempted from excise duty?

No!

OK, so - essential journeys...........

If I drive my car on a Saturday to the local farm where I get my meat and other products (I hate supermarkets, by the way) can that be journey be exempted from excise duty, as, that too, is essential to live.

No!

If I drive my boat (that I don't have, and never will have) across the channel to a French market then will that journey's fuel be exempt from fuel duty?

Answers on a postcard please.

I reckon your average boats 0-60 time of a weekend and 10mpg economy will soon weigh up the advantages.

(80% of these statistics were made up the rest were guessed!)

I have a football field near my house and some old man parked in front of my drive to go watch the game, I was lucky that I saw him park so I was able to get him to move, otherwise If i wanted to leave I couldn't for a good 2 or so hours (assuming he would watch the whole match).

I guess this isn't down to him being old as all ages do this but still...

thts simple mate a live at an alley that folk park at all the time i was coming out one morning when sumone decided to block te alleyway whgen a openend the window to tell him to shift he said he was only going to be 2 mins "i am only gan to grab a paper" was his exuse am sure a seen his passenger s**t himself as was parked on the oppsisite side of the road when a sopped inches of his door a was so p**sed off that he had stopped seen that i was trying to get out and blocked the alley ( with a space on the other side o the street i maght add) that i made his passenger get out so he could get in the passenger door nd jump across

Someone down the road my gf lives in has a medium sized flatbed lorry and he seems to think it's acceptable to park it on the pavement opposite my gf's house. Their road isn't very wide to start with.

Even if it's parked there, when I arrive I still park infront of her dropped pavement and block the road off. The way I see it I'm running her around, she LIVES there, therefore it seems only fair that I park in front of her house. Or is being aloud to park in front my gf's house asking to much? :(

The lorry driver can't really complain as he has to park the lorry accorss the whole pavement to try and keep it out the road which in itself is illegal.

Her family have decided that whoever gets home first is going to park in front of the house so the lorry can't park there anymore.

certain commercial vehicles ar not allowed in built up ares, had the same issue with a hgv, soon shifted when he was awoken by the plod

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back