Old cars with modern updates

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on people who take a classic car and update it with things like ABS, fuel injection and modern engine components?

Is it still a classic? How far would you go on something really unusual like a GT40 or even a Delorean?

I doubt anyone would want to devalue a genuine GT40.

A DeLorean, however, is fair game IMO.

There are companies out there already updating MGBs, E Types, etc. You get the looks without the grief.

Indeed.

An episode of TopGear confirms that an Aston Martin DB5 is better with modern components then the parts that came with it and I can understand that as my other halfs Dad owned a DB5 and it was horrible to be in. Crashy, slow and extremely uncomfortable.

I can very much see the point in doing this. Modern cars might be quick, safe, well-handling, well-equipped etc. but by and large they are very dull and samey to look at - wind-tunnels and safety zones and computers have seen to that.

Something gorgeous like an E-type or DB5 but with modern running gear makes sense.

Don't know if my 85 Starion qualifies but it was an 8 valve single cam with throttle body injection and now has has a 16 v twin cam and MPI

^^ I see where your coming from buddy. A chap I know has one of the old Morse Jaguars on a modern platform. It goes like a rocket and is absolutely sumptuous inside. Rumour has it that an absolute fortune has been invested in it, effectively it is Concours d'Elegance.

Not to mention the power, and braking of a modern car. It makes perfect sense to me and personally I don't see it as ruining a classic.

I saw a brand new replica Eleanor Mustang a few years back with nitrous, fuel injection and modern equipment. It looked just like the original from the outside but wouldn't let you down in real life like the one in the movie!

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines - the whole general driveability of a modern car would be very nice. What about doing it the other way round. Take modern can and 'skin' it? Would this be feasible?