oil catch tank

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
having found another split rubber pipe i started looking for silicone alternatives and came across this link
which got me thinking why arent catch tanks standard on cars from the factory???

I've had one on my MG for some time now, stops the oil contaminating the VIS valves and plenum. The oil gets into the brushes of the motors and also contaminates the grease used that lubricates the actuator arm of the power valve, turns it into grinding paste. The reason they are not on production cars is down to the emissions, oil vapour is recirculated back into the engine to be burnt, in the old days it was poorly vented through the carb filter housing and back into the inlets, this hose always perished. Beats a beer can I suppose!

Catch tanks are generally used for track cars and such.

but in the link they show pics of the crap they empty out of their tanks and these are daily drivers! so surely its beneficial for the engine to discard of it via a catch tank rather than having it going back through the engine???

but in the link they show pics of the crap they empty out of their tanks and these are daily drivers! so surely its beneficial for the engine to discard of it via a catch tank rather than having it going back through the engine???

Exactly. I had one on the old GT when it was on the road and it's now on the blue one. Stops oil getting into all your boost piping and intercooler and the fine mist you get from the DV. Nothing to do with track use tbh. Mines chrome though and looks crap, might have to spray it matt black until I get a nicer one, mocal or something.

Last edited:
Exactly. I had one on the old GT when it was on the road and it's now on the blue one. Stops oil getting into all your boost piping and intercooler and the fine mist you get from the DV. Nothing to do with track use tbh. Mines chrome though and looks crap, might have to spray it matt black until I get a nicer one, mocal or something.

thats good to know mate!!
im going to be doing this sometime soon! kill 2 birds with 1 stone silicone pipes (no more crappy rubber that splits if you sneeze on it:amuse:) and i wont be getting that oily water crap back through my pipes/engine:D
i will probably just get 1 of those cheap chrome 1's of ebay and spray it matt black to make it look oem

thats good to know mate!!
im going to be doing this sometime soon! kill 2 birds with 1 stone silicone pipes (no more crappy rubber that splits if you sneeze on it:amuse:) and i wont be getting that oily water crap back through my pipes/engine:D
i will probably just get 1 of those cheap chrome 1's of ebay and spray it matt black to make it look oem

That's what mine was a cheap chrome ebay one. Just needed one fast so thought rather than rush into an expensive one and then not like it, I'd get a cheap one temporarily. They all do the same job but I'm just fussy!

I can't remember where i got mine from to be honest but i doubt if it was mega expensive. I used Goodridge hoses and connectors and it looks o.k.
Sorry but i don't have a good phot of it but you can see it in the top corner of this picture.
The top can was modified to allow it to breathe, having a V engine i needed two inputs, better than running a Y pipe connector, so we ran two in and then drilled and tapped an outlet at the rear.
I made a stainless mount for it and a rubber pad to stop vibration, then mounted it onto a stainless plate which covers my aluminium washer bottle.

filters.jpg

its supposed to be a good idea simply to stop the oil vapour clogging up the entire vent system. read a couple of threads where they have said not to use the cheap ebays ones are theres nothing inside then to actually catch the oil vapour.
have thought about doing it when my pipes have strted to go

I baffle mine by using aluminum pan scourers, get a set of 6 from the £1 shop! Throw them away after each emptying and cleaning. Does the job nicely. Don't do what others have been known to do, wire wool! :blink: