Number Plate Question

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Looking to reduce number plate weight :)

Car was born in 1967

Car is black

Can I legally just stick white letters and numbers on to the car's rear panel?

Good question considering the silver or white on black were never reflective in their day. I bet the Police wouldn't know that one either! If the numbers/letters are the correct size and font expected and on a flat surface and clearly visible then why not? Will it be illuminated at night? May need that for an MOT, rear only of course.

Well I have seen this already done on a Jaguar E type in central London, it is parked in a drive way off the Embankment.

It was how it was done back in the 60s. The Elans had the letters/numbers fixed to the front grill mesh so no backing or black background. This, according the the MOT manual, is illegal but no one bothered.

Just back from my MOT guy. He had never been asked this question before, not surprising I guess.

The manual is not definitive. One section states that the characters must be on a black background but the testing section mentions checking the plate.

However, he said he would let it go. Not quite a definitive answer but one I can work with :)

That's an easy 400gms saved :)

Last edited:
Good question considering the silver or white on black were never reflective in their day. I bet the Police wouldn't know that one either! If the numbers/letters are the correct size and font expected and on a flat surface and clearly visible then why not? Will it be illuminated at night? May need that for an MOT, rear only of course.

Rear plate will be illuminated.

Front one will be illegal as it is motor biked size. I will fit a legal one for the MOT.

Never found an answer as to why cars must have a front plate but bikes don't. Bikes used to have fronts plates mounted to the mud guard edge on so were very danerous but it is be easy enough to mount one sideways.

The car was, and probably will be, a cop magnet. I have to make sure, therefore, that it is squeaky clean.

On reflection, after posting the above, it may not be. Back in the 70s and 80s there were nowhere near the number of modifed cars around so you tended to stick out like a sore thumb. These days it will just look like another MX5 :)

Last edited:
I understand your concerns OG, but the police these days are allowed to utilise their own commonsense on certain issues, so I think you will be OK.

As a conclusive test though, you could always drive up into London and drive into the congestion charge area and not pay.
If you receive a fine this will also come with a photograph as proof.
Just show this to the obstreperous policeman as proof that the system does indeed recognise your unusual number plate :)

What a great idea. I will make sure I try that as soon as the car is finished. I also thought about roaring past speed cameras to see it they can read it.

I have had experience of the London Congestion Charging camera system - it took me three weeks to get the penalty notice overturned and cancelled on compassionate grounds.