Newbies Say Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not really started modding it yet as I have only just bought it. I'd like to add a supercharger but I've heard that the JDM spec ECU's are different to the UK ones so I'm not sure if this will work on a UK model. I'm also looking for some alloy wheels - with ultra low profile tyres. I'm pretty lucky - I've got £3000 inheritance to spend on the car and just want to get the most performance for this money.

hey all, names nick, i drive a 106 aztec si 1.4i, mods : 15" mille miglia evos, fully tinted windows, ecotek valve, slick50'd, did have a twin 3inch exit but gave me sod all torque so thats settling dust nicely, uprated brakes, considering lowering it if i could find a place to do it/ know how much it is!
Ill get pics if i can put them up!

Say Hello & introduce yourself

Hi everyone.
Names Hideo, living in Melbourne, Australia. Current ride is a *cough* VP Holden Commodore, but will be flying in the ST170 below in two weeks - hence my being here at this site.

Can't wait.

Hideo_ST170.jpg

Great job on the site Wayne, keep up the good work.

Hideo

The only mods I have planned are new shoes (Eagle F1) and am expecting to replace the rear engine mount. My research tells me the rubber used in the factory mount was a little soft and is best replaced with a mount which uses polyurethane instead. This was definitely true in the earlier models, but as mine is a '04 model it may have been sorted already. Not to mention that the previous owner was meticulous, he also may have already sorted it. Other than that, I will be very happy with the stock model. :D

Cheers,
Hideo

Heya!
Nick (faze_932) told me about this site yesterday at work so I thought I'd come and check out what lies he is telling you! :)

Looks like a really useful site though so I'm likely to hang around and pester you all.

(My name is Fred, incase you hadn't worked that out for yourself.)

hello everyone!

hi everyone, the name is kyle, i have a 1976 vw beetle that i am getting ready to soop up, any tips as to what i shoud do first?

Hi Fred welcome aboard. (Faze_932 told me he owns a Ferrari F50 modified to do a 2 second 0-60 and its almost as quick as his modified PUG! LOL - Only joking!)

Hi Kyle. Nice project car. The engine is the first place to start. Rebore & Uprate pistons or swap for a 2.2 turbo! Make sure the car is sound throughout. With Dubs I would replace anything that goes wrong with a high performance replacement - ie when the brakes need doing get vented/grooved and drilled replacements with sport pads. If you post in the VW section I'm sure the VW lads will help you out in detail.

come off it guys didnt deserve that! my f50 does a 1.49 0-62! The old aztec pug is slow as a dog but she corners like an f50 :p Fred the Vt turbo conversion got sold, i cried then cried some more! If anyone is selling a 106 rallye please PM me, standard ones only!

Saw a Dubbers cruise few weeks back, they had a camper van split screen modded into a single cab bedded rear hot rod, slammed right to the tarmac, looked amazing!

Sorry to hear that it got sold Nick, how much did it go for in the end?

[sarcasm]
If you are really serious about it maybe you should make a thread in the Citroen part of the board, just so we can keep things on topic, eh?
[/sarcasm]

But on a more serious note, if you really are interested then I will keep an eye out for you on the Saxo forums.

Re: "What are you planning mod wise for your st170?''

Hi Wayne & torquecars crew,

My apologies in advance to all if I've posted this in the wrong thread, but Wayne has asked me "What are you planning mod wise for your st170?" (perhaps Wayne will move it to the appropriate thread, ta man).

I forgot to mention that I am very curious what mods I can do to the engine? I am of the impression that the 2 litre Duratec in the ST170 is already fairly tricked up (I'm suspicious that it may not be up to extra engine mods). I hear a lot of talk about improving the air flow into the heads can help. Could I expect many benefits from a richer tune, valve timing adjustments etc.? Very curious to hear anyones thoughts / input.

Cheers all,
Hideo

Hi Hideo, Apologies for delay in replying to you - I can't move this thread into the Ford forum - the board is not that complex!

You are right that the engine is running pretty much at the maximum. I would avoid an induction kit like the plague on this model you will end up losing loads of low end torque - you are much better off with a panel air filter. A chip will make a big difference too but you are looking at losing some reliability.

Brakes can use some attention even if you only fit uprated pads (Greenstuff or blackdiamond) - I'll warn you now that unless the uprated pads are warm they will feel slightly worse than standard! If I were you i'd enjoy the car as it is for a while and then uprate it later when you know what the weak areas of the car are.

Re: Thoughts on mods

Thanks for confirming my suspicions Wayne.

Could you recommend a good replacement panel air filter? As I haven't picked the car up yet (hopefully next weekend - it's interstate), I assume the ST170 currently uses a panel air filter? If so, great!

Are the uprated brake pads you mention metal composites or a new compound thingy? I will investigate some prices. Either way, sounds like good advice, much appreciated.

I do plan to just enjoy it as is ...I'm sure I will love it. Even though I've never even driven one (test drove a zetec and loved it), I'm pretty sure it's exactly what i'm looking for. Not after the fastest car on the road, but a good balance between chassis and motor. Everything I've read on the ST170 suggests it is exactly that.

You will love the car. The EBC Greenstuff pads are a special compound and now have a quicker wearing in coating and low brake dust formular but I'm not sure of compound specifics they don't give that away on the EBC site. Panel air filters - I use Piper-X but the K&N filters are equally good.

I'm very jealous of you - be sure to tell us about your first impressions of driving it. :mrgreen:

Cheers Wayne ...first drive will be heading back to melbourne from sydney. I'm going to spread the trip over 2 days to "soak it all in". I'm so pumped. Hell man, I've even been sucking lemons to try get rid of the perpetual stupid grin on my dial. ;)

Welcome aboard 'ste' (?) can I ask where that name has originated from?

If I don't know I wont remember it and end up calling you 'palf' all the time..

What is the current spec of your Accent? Any modification work done so far? How much are you looking to spend? Thought about saving your money for a new car. (That was not intentionally offensive, just can't imagine Accent's to be particularly tuneable)

Sorry - chaps - been away for a day!! Work I'm afraid! Just to say welcome to palf. Accent 1.3i's do not have many parts for tuning but that doesn't mean you can't tune it up. The whole concept of tuning is to make the car more fun, more personalised, and better than the factory. Mitsubishi engine swaps and addition of a turbo are possibilities. Adding Nos is cheaper.

Big Hello to Albatjov in Egypt - please post in the Fiat forum to tell us all about the engine swap - I bet it was a lot of hard work but well worth the effort! Hows the tuning scene in Egypt?

Sorry I have not been online for a while I have been real busy with my new job and also I have been away on holiday as well. Now I am back I can't wait I will be going to quite a few car shows this year so I will have a lot to report and photos to show you all as well.

Nice to meet you!

Me and Nick (faze932) are both form Surrey too :D

Where abouts are you?

It would be cool if you could post some more pics of your car in Members Rides and tell us a little more about the spec.. Looks really nice though!

:D

Freddie.

New Ride: Focus ST170 ...my first impressions

I finally picked up my new ride this weekend from Sydney and drove it back to Melbourne ...and it is absolutely fantastic!

I promised Waynne I would post my first impressions, so here goes.

ENGINE: The 2.0 ltr duratec is an amazing piece of machinery. When I first drove it, I was not sure what I thought of the engine performance (as the seller was sitting beside me - and fair enough too) ...it wasn't until I was alone in the car that I saw what the engine is capable of. Driven softly, it is smooth as silk - with moderate performance in the low rev range. Get the revs up and the engine hits form. Keep the revs up in the car and it literally transforms it into a "pure fun" machine - it bloody hammers. I really like this aspect to the car, it is like two cars in one.

HANDLING: Speechless ...I am agog at how well this car handles. Stunning.

APPEARANCE: Again, speechless ...the car looks absolutely amazing.

I haven't really tested out the Traction control yet but plan to head to either the great ocean road or the black spur as soon as I get a chance to "push" things a little - stay tuned for my report on this.

Hideo_ST170_2.jpg

My first impressions have exceeded my expectations ...just wow. I love this machine.

Cheers all

Hideo - I'm jealous.

So what MPG are you getting? (Only joking I doubt you'd care if you were having to fill up every 20 miles!)

Are there any annoying niggles with the car? Nothing can be perfect - help lift us from our mortal depression and jealousy! Perhaps there's a paint chip on the Bonnet. The Radio takes too long to come on!

Here's a few niggles about the ST170 ... ;)

lol ...some niggles huh? Well, this car is so good, I feel that if I am to point out some niggles, it's only fair to state first that we are in the realm of "splitting hairs" here ...
  • The clutch is a bit heavy (but, you know - I'm kinda glad it is a little heavy).
  • There is an annoying whine coming from the passenger seat vicinity ...but it's only when my missus is in the car ...so
  • A very small stone chip in the windscreen? ...I dunno
Haven't really checked mileage yet. I don't expect the mileage would be that great at the moment as I am tending to give it a squirt everywhere I've been. But seriously, not a single paint chip - flawless. The car has been just amazing and I've clocked up over 1200 k's in 5 days (but most of this was the trip back from sydney). Man, what a car. Well done Ford.

Major kudos to the previous owner too, he has really looked after the car well.

This is me ---> :D

I've got the same whine from the passenger seat as you - so we have a fault in common!

Do you ever get that feeling that although you have the steering wheel you are not actually driving?

This is me:-
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hideo said:
There is an annoying whine coming from the passenger seat vicinity ...but it's only when my missus is in the car

Buahah, I have to remember that!!

[evil] And probably steal it and KEEP IT FOR MYSELF!! [/evil]

Fixed the annoying whine!!

Guys, I found a fix for the annoying whine coming from the passenger seat area when my missus is in the car.

I found that a quick spray of mace in the general area has solved the problem completely! ...now we can all get some sleep ;)

PS - torquecars dont actually endorse spraying anyone with mace ...much

Hello and welcome!

Try and recruit as many of your car minded friends aswell!

The forum is lagging a bit in the 'number of posts' department a bit at the minute!

Re: Welcome Marko!

Hideo said:
Hi Marko, welcome to torquecars.co.uk.

Tell us all about your current ride and any mods you have planned.

Cheers,
Hideo

Current ride Peugeot 206, 1.4l petrol 75KS. Mods, currently K&N filter completely new exhaust, planing new camshaft, chip tuning, and hopefully trying to find out what else can I change on this slow car regarding engine tuning. Future plans is to buy some older car, let say 1995-1996, at least 2.0l engine and start tuning....

What kind of 'older' cars are you into? How serious are you planning on taking it?
For instance I read an article about a guy who put a V12 lump into a Calibra
:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back