Calvgraves

Car
VW Golf Mk4 GTi 2.0
Hi all,

I just got a Golf GTi and was thinking about making a few mods like induction kit and exhaust or maybe an ecu remap for a bit of extra power. Basically looking for maximum power gains for minimum cost without invalidating my insurance! Any suggestions would be more than welcome :)

Calvin

Hi Calvin and welcome to TorqueCars. Any mod will invalidate your insurance if not disclosed to them. It would be worth speaking with them and seeing what they allow/do not allow before doing it.

If it is the turbo engine then a Remap should be near the top of your list. People seem to rate Miltek exhausts as well. Personally I'd go with a panel filter but if you are really after the noise and are prepared to fit a cold air feed then an induction kit is your answer.;)

You can also improve the MK4 suspension and handling a lot for a relatively low cost. What about uprating the brakes whilst you are at it?

Have a peek at torquecars.potn.com for our sponsors parts shop. The prices are pretty good.;)

morning turbonutter69! lol.
no, it is the 2L engine without turbo, 115 bhp, waynne.
The brakes seem to be pretty good already but get hot very quickly.
I crashed a car before and had made a couple of minor mods so was able to go into the salvage yard where it was taken and put them back to normal so would hopefully be able to again if the worst happened!

awesome are starting to stock tuning parts for the 2.0 unit, most places dont as its cheaper to swap it out to the 1.8t unit. these include 256 degree cam, adjuster cam gear. alone with the usual intake and exhaust

dunno what vw were thinking when they used that engine, esp with the 1.6 twin cam unit running 105 (10bhp less) and the 1.8 nasp engine running 125 (10 more)

The 1.8 n/a engine was only fitted to cars produced in the first year of it's life so the 2L must have some benefit over that, reliability maybe?

yeah but thats whats more confusing, the 2.0 was used in the Mk3 as well. again it was slagged for being asthmatic. as now the golf was starting to get heavier

dont know about reliability as theres properly just as many sensors as on the other engines, might be more reliable with internals as its really underpowered, 2ltr only giving out 115bhp whereas most other manufacturers give out closer to 130-140 in a standard tune. sports on some are slightly higher.

Audi used a 2.0 with a 20v head for a year or so with 130bhp

So do you think that being a 2L and producing this much power will enable me to get 130-140 bhp out of it without too much trouble?

should be eay enough mate.
get the breathing sorted out first, decent intake ( look at smoothing out the airbox see here if your going down the panel filter route) carbonio get good reviews for theyre induction kits.
along with exhaust and sports cat.
the higher lift cam should be ok, neuspeed say it doesnt chuck up any engine light issues.
fuel pressure regulator change for an adjustable one
then give someone like custom code clicky here . most phase ones are generic where as the phase 2s are more customised for intake and exhaust mods.
you should see around 135 ish from that,

total cost will be around £1200 depending on wherer you fit the stuff yourself or give it to a mechanic to do.

ok just read cc page properly might be worth giving them a call as the cam might get you slightly more 140 - 145 ish

after this you may want to look towards getting the head flowed to get the air in better.

The max for a tuned 2.0 will be around 180-190 but you will be doing some very serious work to get this. I'd settle for the 150 mark and enjoy the reliability and relative economy. ;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back