Freddies right - I Love Rovers - they are the best (IMHO) but I have to admit they are a 'little unreliable'. I got through 3 engines and a gearbox and a few clutch cables on mine. It actually cost me about £7000 in repairs over the 3 years I owned it - but I had pretty much sorted out all of the issues by the time I had to sell it. I know head gaskets go frequently on the Turbos - they leak from the front right. Every thing is pretty reliable if you have a good radiator and water pump - the engines hate heat and die if you drive them too hard and too hot!

Gearboxes are a big problem on the 220 Turbos. Get a custom box built with a Quaife diff and go for lower gear ratios for mad acceleration - the Turbo gearing is higher than the standard 220 NASP but I would recommend that the 220 NASP ratios for 4th and 5th and Maestro turbo ratios for 1,2 and 3!

its cost me bout 1500 quid so far on repairin the engine i find the 220 g/box ok for top end but the take off is real *#*#*#*# but a bloke down the road got a custom six speed gearbox made which he loves as it rapid on acceleration and he aint lost nothin top end but his engine isnt stock he spent bout 10grand on his car though, i am tryin to find a set of high lift cams for mine but no where does them any ideas guys. Thought about puttin a front mount intercooler on mine but aint to sure coz of the lag what do you guys think?

Intercooler is a good idea it will give a little more power and if you get a well designed one the lag should not be a problem - may even give a bit more low down torque.

Piper do a nice CAM set up for the 220 tomcat you could ask moto-build if they have any other cam options in stock.

Welcome along - look forward to swapping tuning tips with you. I like the 220's I saw a 220 turbo thrash a Nissan 200 at the weekend on a short spring - it sounded awesome to0.

Rovers Rovers Rovers - I thought we'd moved waynne on fomr Rover's and we're right back talking about them UGH! LOL

Welcome to Torquecars - I was with Waynne when we saw that 220 - gotta admit it had a few surprised at the show - had a chance on the best time until the Jap boys rolled out.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back