Newbie saying hello (yes another noob)

VAG-rant

Hi petrolheads (or sooty monsters),

Just introducing myself. I have an Audi A6 I am thinking of changing for an A4 1.8T Quattro which ATP Turbo in the States got to 500bhp (courtesy of a Garret GT3071R turbo) and sub 12 seconds quarter mile with just a clutch, turbo and injector change alone, so I am hoping to learn a thing or too, get an A4 project car and take it to the limit.

Aim: have a luxury exec car, looking sporty but not chavved and certainly not looking like it will give any supercar a run for its money, but then make sure that it leaves almost anything standing. Stealthy goodness..... oh yes!!!

Well, one can hope and I am mad, so I will try.

* VAGrant *

Hi Dude - nice username and welcom to torquecars. I like your plan. The 1.8T is one of the most tunable engines around at the moment. The FWD only cannot cope with more than 225bhp so quattro is the way to go. Do you want reliable power or just POWER! :twisted: Get an A3 they are lighter and have 4 doors from 2000 on (although rear space is a little cramped!)

I want reliable power but sticking something like a Garret GT3071R is not going to keep the internals happy, so manifold, bottom end etc will need replacing. Long term project idea this.... because its expensive!!

I would also use/have a custom ECU programming to de-tune the car for any road use prevent excessive boost, control the fuel pump etc to get more sane road and reliable road use and better economy. Custom Code do switchable programs through the cruise control stalk, so maybe that is an option.. otherwise it'll be something from stateside or a whole aftermarket ECU system. Dahlback Racing in Sweden do some race/road programming with a custom ECU that is still compatible with VAG engine fault/diagnostic codes and software, so I would talk to them first.

BTW Waynne... your tuning info is among the clearest out there... especially the difference between a turbo and a supercharger... you should try reading Garrett's official noob intro... I felt like Manwell from Fawlty Towers... "Keh?"

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back