Newbie in need of some advice

beks

Car
eunos 1.8
Good evening y'all

I just wanted to say hi and introduce my potential project.
I brought a Eunos roadster off a customer after it failed the MOT. After some minor repairs the car was back on the road. I am a big fan of the Eunos and Mx5 but as I am sure you will agree they lack power.
I am looking for a fairly straight forward project to, dare I say it.............? 'Pimp my ride' :bigsmile:
I just want some ideas really, nothing too mental but mental enough if that makes sense?
I have some guys who are going to sort the body and do a re-spray so the mechanics is left to me.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Beks

Hi and welcome to TC. I think BBR did a turbo kit for the MX5 which you could check out but I always thought the appeal of the MX5 isn't in it's power but the handling and back to basics driving. Front engine - rear drive - light and agile - squillion miles of headroom with the top down motoring.

Hello there and may I extend to you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars forums.
It is great to meet you and I hope you enjoy the forums as much as we all do and that you get totally addicted to this site.

I'd be tempted to look at a supercharger conversion. Get an old one from the breakers yard, then all you have to do is sort out the mapping.

What cars have you owned in the past then? Were they all bargains?

Do feel free to get involved in our other threads too, the more the merrier as they say and we are friendly (being friendly is actually a forum rule!:))

Hi and welcome to TC. I think BBR did a turbo kit for the MX5 which you could check out but I always thought the appeal of the MX5 isn't in it's power but the handling and back to basics driving. Front engine - rear drive - light and agile - squillion miles of headroom with the top down motoring.

Deffo I agree I love the MX5. I trained on Mazda so its what I love and know. I am just a bit bored at the mo, but I don't want to sell it.
Thanks for the BBR tip will have a look.

Thanks again

Beks :blink1:

Hello there and may I extend to you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars forums.
It is great to meet you and I hope you enjoy the forums as much as we all do and that you get totally addicted to this site.

I'd be tempted to look at a supercharger conversion. Get an old one from the breakers yard, then all you have to do is sort out the mapping.

What cars have you owned in the past then? Were they all bargains?

Do feel free to get involved in our other threads too, the more the merrier as they say and we are friendly (being friendly is actually a forum rule!:))

Evening

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tip. Cars before..........My first car was a Triumph Spitfire 1.5 with over drive; ace! I have had a Mazda MX5 mk 2.5 before but kept it standard. Alfa Romeo 156, had some fun with that :D.
They all gone now just got the Eunos, which is off road and in the workshop, and a Mercedes 320 SLK 3.2 V8.
As for bargains, yeah they were all pretty bargain tastic.
Will deffo get involved in the other threads, looks like fun. And I am hooked already :blink1:

I have not seen under the bonnet of the MX5 but as it was, allegedly, based on the orignal Lotus Elan (of which I know a little about), how about a Fiat twin cam? This is quite a compact engine and is designed to face the right way.

Available from 1297 to 2111cc. The 1600cc has 110bhp as standard but can be tuned to over 200bhp without going silly.

Turbocharged and supercharged versions are also available.

Fitted to lots of cars between late 50s and early 90s so there are many around. Best, however, to look for a late one.

I have not seen under the bonnet of the MX5 but as it was, allegedly, based on the orignal Lotus Elan (of which I know a little about), how about a Fiat twin cam? This is quite a compact engine and is designed to face the right way.

Available from 1297 to 2111cc. The 1600cc has 110bhp as standard but can be tuned to over 200bhp without going silly.

Turbocharged and supercharged versions are also available.

Fitted to lots of cars between late 50s and early 90s so there are many around. Best, however, to look for a late one.

OG, are you saying the MX5 is based on the Elan mechanically or in the concept of i.e light and agile?
Looking on some Jap car forums the engine of choice for conversion are the Nissan s13, s14 or even sr20. Around 200hp is what your're after otherwise car very tricky to handle. Looks like no straight swap, all conversion need reworking on the subframe/engine mounts. The turbo route is considered the easiest and most cost effective. MX5 engine actually based on the old 323 turbo unit so compression is already low making it ideal for bolt on turbo.
Want to be mad the LS1 V8 engines will fit :blink: and are not as heavy as you think. Big talk in Porsche circles about this conversion in front engine cars. The noise would be awesome :lol:
Thats what I've found with a quick search so hope that may point you in right direction for questions to ask and someone more knowledgeable than me answer :bigsmile:

OG, are you saying the MX5 is based on the Elan mechanically or in the concept of i.e light and agile? :bigsmile:

The story goes that Mazda took an Elan (as well as other European sports cars) back to Japan to study. They came up with the Miata (MX-5) which is similar in appearance to the Elan. It also has independent front and rear suspension which is, again, similar to the Elan.

Some suggest that the MX-5 is what the Elan would have evolved into if Lotus had continued to develop it. I don't agree. If Chapman had had any involvement it would have been prettier, had more power and handled better.

tcsmileysign.gif
& HNY!

The story goes that Mazda took an Elan (as well as other European sports cars) back to Japan to study. They came up with the Miata (MX-5) which is similar in appearance to the Elan. It also has independent front and rear suspension which is, again, similar to the Elan.

Some suggest that the MX-5 is what the Elan would have evolved into if Lotus had continued to develop it. I don't agree. If Chapman had had any involvement it would have been prettier, had more power and handled better.

Ahh got it, too much late night gaming and food over holidays has dulled my brain.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back