New Member Desperately Seeking Help

Britsplit

Car
Defender 90 2.0 MPI
Hi everyone! I have just found Torquecars and hope someone can help me. I am Trevor (British) and have lived for some 13 years in Italy, near Asti. A year ago I bought a 1996 Land Rover Defender 90, Ex Carrabinieri (Military Police) which has a 2.0L MPI T series Rover engine. It is currently having an engine rebuild as it was drinking oil. The head has been refinished and now the final problem are the pistons which are badly worn. I need to find a full set of pistons with con rods, pins, bearings and rings but to say they are as rare as rocking horse teeth would be an understatement! Does anyone have any advice as to my options? Can I replace them with turbo spec pistons from the turbocharged T series as in the Rover 220? I can source these but don't know if they are directly transferrable. Is there a company (that I haven't found in two months of searching online) that refurbishes full pistons? Is there a magic fairy that can grant me engine wishes? You can see I'm desperate!!!! Thanks to anyone reading this and even more thanks to anyone who can shine a little light on a potential solution. All the best to everyone. T

Hello and welcome Trevor |B

I have no knowledge of your Defender but would guess that the turbo pistons would have a lower CR and less power in a NA motor.

I would be thinking of installing a different motor altogether and am sure that it would have already been carried out so maybe you need to consider researching alternative power plants that will bolt up to the existing transmission.

Hello and welcome Trevor |B

I have no knowledge of your Defender but would guess that the turbo pistons would have a lower CR and less power in a NA motor.

I would be thinking of installing a different motor altogether and am sure that it would have already been carried out so maybe you need to consider researching alternative power plants that will bolt up to the existing transmission.
Thanks very much for your help. The problem I face here is that the Italian system doesn’t allow for that without a huge cost in re registering. The amount of red tape and time would be quite a task and a costly one.
I did find Rover GSI pistons, although my computer crashed and I lost my search history, but am searching for them again. I am trying to get drawings of them to see if they are the same as those in the Discovery (my engine) version.

Try https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin!

So sorry for my very slow reply, I've been moving this site to a new server and tweaking it for better performance pretty much non stop for the last 30 days. Hopefully we are there now, with a much faster more efficient site and server.

I'm sure you'll fit in just fine and look forward to Talking Cars with you.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back