new car

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
After alot of searching and viewing various vehicles for the last month or so i finally purchased a rover 75 connoisseur 2ltr diesel and im happy! the ar is a pleasure to drive a little noisy from the engine bay considering its supposedly a luxury car. but bar that i have every option going bar satnav, rain sensing wipers and tc (thought most cars had tc:confused:)
I got a bargain to fsh, 10 months MOT, 6 months tax originally priced at £2,500 I got the garage to give me £900 for my legacy (i paid £800:amuse:) i got to keep my tax (4 full months left on it value not sure yet) i got another £200 knocked off cause it needs 2 new front tyres soon!!! and another £150 knocked off for new front discs and pads, so all in all i paid £1,250 cash and my legacy so all in all im a happy motorist!!:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Excellent news herb, I am really happy for you buddy. Lots of universal sound proofing kits around so the old girl will be Rolls Royce quiet in no time at all ;)

I hope you have many many happy motoring miles in the new chariot :bigsmile:

Hope all goes well with new motor.
Just changed my car and found it to be a bit of a wrench.
The new one has a tough act to follow but is so far so good.:bigsmile:

Ncie buy, a mate of mine just got a nice 45 with 20k on the clock for a steal price! He's done an LPG conversion on his so gets diesel economy and petrol performance!

Keep us posted! You get a lot of car for your money in the 75's!

Congrats. Sounds like a great buy and trade in. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Ncie buy, a mate of mine just got a nice 45 with 20k on the clock for a steal price! He's done an LPG conversion on his so gets diesel economy and petrol performance!

Keep us posted! You get a lot of car for your money in the 75's!

Not sure I totally agree that petrol is automatically better for performance unless we're talking exotic machinery.

All cars are detuned so that they still work with supermarket fuel, lack of maintenace, various weather conditions, etc

A remap relies on decent fuel and good maintenance and knowing where the car will be used. A map for the UK will be different to one optimised for Kuwait for example.

Last edited:
cheers for the replys and nice comments i some how missed them:embarrest:
Davalav its the 130hp bmw engine

Embarrassingly i have bought a car that needs/needed more work than i originally thought so it may not turn out to be the bargain i originally thought:(

Basically the day after i bought the car the battery completely died and ive had to buy a new 1 £80
Monday i went to pull of my drive and i couldnt get in any gear after investigating i realised the clutch wasnt engaging. Being hydraulic i googled where the master cylinder was and its above the clutch pedal rite against the firewall a pain in the arse is an understatement and that was just getting the lid off:mad: It was completely empty so popped and got some brake fluid and with the assistance of the wife and daughter we bled the master cylinder. It took well over an hour cause of the position of the reservoir and its capacity (constantly topping it up) and me allowing it to bleed dry twice:embarrest: Anyway it sorted the gear issue:D
And this weekend i serviced the car oil, filters and new wiper blades i took advantage of opie oils 25% off £88 inc postage:bigsmile: But while servicing the car i noticed 1 cv boot had a slight tear, Both balljoints are split they look like they are part of the wishbone ill have to investigate further.
So after servicing the car i moved on to adjusting the handbrake where i met the first problem. I undone the nuts very stiff but with a breaker bar came of quite easily but the wheel wouldnt budge i tried a good few solid kicks still no movement, So i lowered the jack to see if that would free it still no movement:sad2: So with a chisel and hammer i tapped around as much of the drum i could reach a good few more solid kick and eventually it came off:bigsmile: I adjusted the drum cleaned up the corrosion on the drum and wheel copper greased it all up and put it back on. Then on to the other side which i was dreading but it came of quite easily:eek: still a bit of corrosion that needed cleaning up but not to bad. I did the adjustment cleaned and copper greased everything up just about to put the wheel back on and i spot a broken spring:sad2: Now at this point of owning the car im thinking to myself ive bought a lemon:mad: But in reality all the work that had to be and needs to be done are all service and consumable items, So im going to stick at it/on top of it and ill have a car that will keep going and going (hopefully:lol:)

That's Rovers for you mate! I bought my ZR on the Saturday, went away until Sunday night, first day I went to use it and it wouldn't start... Apon investigating, I discovered either the alternator was buggered or the voltage regulator. Luckily it was the regulator. Called the people up who sold it me, and told them about it and they gave me the money for a new alternator and the regulator!! Well chuffed. Then 6 months later HGF.... All fixed now and working beautifully.

Sort of problems you could get with any purchase in that price bracket. I've been there myself a few times. Treat it as getting to know the car and sorting niggles as you go then it's a case of the devil you know. Good strong engine, well worth getting it tweaked. Good build quality too, nothing like the others in the MGR fleet.

That's Rovers for you mate! I bought my ZR on the Saturday, went away until Sunday night, first day I went to use it and it wouldn't start... Apon investigating, I discovered either the alternator was buggered or the voltage regulator. Luckily it was the regulator. Called the people up who sold it me, and told them about it and they gave me the money for a new alternator and the regulator!! Well chuffed. Then 6 months later HGF.... All fixed now and working beautifully.
hopefully within the next month ill sort all the bits out that need doing and it will be happy motoring from then on!??!?:lol:

Sort of problems you could get with any purchase in that price bracket. I've been there myself a few times. Treat it as getting to know the car and sorting niggles as you go then it's a case of the devil you know. Good strong engine, well worth getting it tweaked. Good build quality too, nothing like the others in the MGR fleet.
Apart from its a little noisy from the bay, a rattling door pin thats doing my nut in, the few issues ive sorted and soon will sort Honestly im impressed with the car! Ill stick at it and definitely get it upto the standard i want!!

Well after researching into diesels/my engine. Today i decided to clean the egr valve, inlet manifold and pvc filter (not sure of its name but its part of the pcv) all went well apart from me loosing a washer for the manifold. And upon test driving after the cleaning i saw figures for mpg in the low 50's thats 5mpg+ more than befroe for normal driving:D Im not really sure there is a gain in performance yet ill find out tomorrow on the dual carriageways on the way to work;)

Marvellous news herb about the additional mpg, I can only dream about such figures for the beast :lol:

well this weekend i replaced the rear springs good job i opted to do both cause it turns out both where broken:amazed:
1 spring.jpg
1 spring 1.jpg
i hadn't originally noticed the o/s one top pic, all in all a quick and easy job to do 2 hrs in total nearly 1hr of that taken up by removing the rubber spring seats:mad:
next weekend ill be doing the fuel filter, replacing the pcv filter and changing the o rings on the intercooler
all the little jobs are mounting up:sad2:

Oh the joys of used car ownership.
I think I may find a project near the end of the year. I'm feeling an old school ford of some sort. Maybe a sierra. An no not a cossie lol

Oh the joys of used car ownership.
I think I may find a project near the end of the year. I'm feeling an old school ford of some sort. Maybe a sierra. An no not a cossie lol

A mate of mine has a thing for sierras he's bought numerous xr4i's and p100's with the intention of restoring them but never finished 1 but always made double his money by breaking them! So they can be a good investment if the you decide the project is to much for you;)

Yeah i've seen alot of this too.
Prices on full cars are creeping up slowly as well.

A mate of mine has a thing for sierras he's bought numerous xr4i's and p100's with the intention of restoring them but never finished 1 but always made double his money by breaking them! So they can be a good investment if the you decide the project is to much for you;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back