New Car Search

TommyTwinCams

Track Warrior
Car
2004 Saturn Ion 2.2
Yes. Another thread. My previous one was getting a bit hard to follow.

I just finished looking at possible new car replacements for my Saturn. Here's what I looked at:

2013 Scion tC
Scion tC review
2014 Scion tC review
Engine: 2.5L Toyota I4, 180 HP
Transmission: 6 speed manual
Drivetrain: FWD
Price: ~$19,000
Notes: Meant to be modified. HUGE number of aftermarket accessories from the dealer, from body graphics to exhausts and a TRD big brake kit. Car comes standard with a 300 watt 8 speaker stereo system

2013/2012 VW Beetle Turbo
2012 Beetle review
Engine: 2.0L TSFI Turbocharged I4, 200 HP
Price: ~24,500
Notes: The main reason I looked at this is because I've ALWAYS loved Bugs. This car was fun to drive and, like the following cars, I didn't know whether to hug it or get in and drive. As fun as this car was, the other cars were more fun to drive.

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Fiat 500 Abarth Review
Engine: 1.4L Turbocharged Multi-Air I4, 160 HP
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Price: ~$22,000
Notes: My father fit in this car no problem. He also had no issues getting in or out which shocked us given his bad back and hip. The exhaust note is AMAZING. Never expected such a small car to make such a huge noise. It just makes you smile when driving.

2013 Mini Cooper S
2007 Mini Cooper S review
Engine: 1.6: Turbocharged Prince I4, 180 HP
Price: ~23,300, ~$26,000 optioned my way
Notes: This car was fun to drive and exuded confidence in the corners. It's adorable and fun, but I'm not sure it suits me.

Having test driven all these cars, I can say a bit. In the end for me, it comes down to the Scion, VW, and Fiat. As fun as the Mini is, it doesn't offer what the others do and is expensive. The options are way overpriced and isn't much of a value. The Scion has the best steering wheel, seats and stereo... standard. It also may be the easiest to live with being a Toyota product. The Fiat had a charm I loved. It felt like it had a soul and wanted to talk to me. The Beetle is a Beetle. IT GO BUGGY! :D

So which would you go with? Everyone keeps telling me to go after the Fiat, and I'm tempted but then the Scion comes along.

4 completely different cars there!

It would have to be the Scion for me. It's cheap, it's a Toyota and it looks cool as hell.

The new Beetle looks cool but I don't think I could get over the fact it's really a tarted up Golf.

The Fiat 500 is funky but it's just not really my cup of tea.

I never liked the new Mini. I think it's a womans car.

I wouldn't say they're completely different. They're all hatchback coupes, but each one goes about attracting an audience in a different way.
The Scion says "I'm cool looking! Customize me!"
The Fiat is like one of those small, but loud dogs with a huge personality
The Mini is kind of like the cool older brother who went to finishing school.
The Bug is really fun and quirky. It's no longer a car for women.

Heard one of the 1.4 turbo Beetles... them things shift! :D I'll go for the Beetle personally and they're resell value is good.