New car or refurbished old one

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Out of a brand new car or a fully refurbished old one which would be better, more reliable and more fun and satisfying to you?

Assume the full cost of a new car was invested in updating an old one and reconditioning all the major parts and components.

I'd quite like a classic like a beetle or mustang from the 70's with a modern fuel injection and turbo charged engine. Tech moved on so much so it makes sense to bring these gorgeous cars up to date so we can still enjoy them and use them on our modern roads effectively.

I think a refurb would cost a lot more than a new car though, unless you did the work yourself.

Aye, if I had the money I'd get one of those e-types with the original bodywork and interior but modern engine, brakes and running gear.

Older cars look gorgeous but driving them is a world away from today's cars. I learnt to drive in a Morris Marina, no power-steering so you had to row the wheel like a bus, no abs, handled like a barge, took miles to brake.

I'd love a go in one again just to relive that experience but it wouldn't be fun long term.

I learned in a 1983 Micra and 1978 Fiat 127. Same as you describe the Marina with the exception being the handling of the Fiat at least was rather good.

I'd rather stick with modern cars from a safety point of view. If you do find yourself involved in a RTC there's much more chance of getting out unharmed.

Last edited:
I learned in a 1983 Micra and 1978 Fiat 127. Same as you describe the Marina with the exception being the handling of the Fiat at least was rather good.

I'd rather stick with modern cars from a safety point of view. If you do find yourself involved in a RTC there's much more chance of getting out unharmed.

I had a Fiat 125 and loved it as it had some undefinable/spirited characteristic that made me want to drive it for the joy of it .

Totally agree with the 2nd paragraph.|B

Hard to say. I have high confidence in my driving skills so a restored classic would be loads of fun on a track. But today's new cars are indeed safer - and tamer. If you look at the difference between American playgrounds in the 1960s and today you come up against the same thing. To some of us, real risk is part of the thrill and the challenge. Take away the risk, and we might as well sit in front of a gaming console.

One thing I would like to do is own new AND old, side by side. Two ideas: my wife always wanted a classic-era Corvette Stingray, 1968-1972. Then the 2015 was revealed. She likes both. Wouldn't it be phenomenal to have both in the same garage?
Other idea: The Ford Thunderbird. The original model was a phenomenon. It went gradually downhill over decades of evisions and alterations. Then it was revived and after a few years the 50th anniversary edition was released. Nothing special, but I've always wanted to do what Ford never did - actually put a supercharger under that sweet-looking hood intake grille.

But as a matter of money, I'd go with new and tinker, unless something so appeals to me & captures my heart that I'm willing to DIY W.I.T. to make a full restoration out of it.

It has always been a characteristic that they've had - not cornering well at speed. America rarely comes out with a car that is above-average in most categories. It's this whole 'we're making Mustangs, we're not trying to turn them into Corvettes or M3s or Vipers.'

Tough call this one, on the one hand a brand new (The right choice) car offers so many options, but then again, a fully refurbed classic for instance with all the latest internal running gear and engine for reliability is a hard combination to ignore.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back