need sum help!!!

jjb115

Car
honda civic 1.4 hb
got a 1997 civic 1.4 hatchback
wondering what to do to tune it and where to start
does any1 ave any ideas?

also car gets to certain tempreture and starts eratic revving almost like hunting I'm finkin its the air flow meter but not sure does any one know?

write back cheers =]

Last edited by a moderator:
drop the txt spk mate as per the terms and conditions or your posts are likely to be ignored.

my 1.4 98 model didnt have a airflow sensor.

its not an easy engine to tune up mate, i had induction kit and sports cat fitted. took both off when i sold it and couldnt feel any difference.

engine swap would be your best bet

Hi and welcome to TorqueCars. Might be worth thinking about an engine swap really as this would be the most cost effective way to improve the power.

You really need a 1.6 VTEC to make it an interesting tuning proposition. Some better suspension will mean it handles better.

Not really sure about the 1.4L as we in the U.S. don't get that option, but going back to my ricer days i would definitely do the engine swap preferably with a B18B out of an acura integra ls or what ever its equivalent is over the big pond. The B18 has pretty good factory power and is extremely tunable and as an added bonus it actually likes forced induction.

really comparing to the civics with 1.6, 1.8 and type R engines, how much civics with 1.4 are there?
welcome to TC mate, nice car, but the engine dissapoints me a little.

the acura intregra is just the honda over here

charger youd be shockd at how many use the 1.4 engine. even for such a little thing its quick nippy. i could keep up with some 1.6s without any issues.

yeh engine swap good idea b18 swap,Bit pricey integra engines,b18c4 can be pick up for a good price tho.If you cant afford go with a integra engine.

cheers for your replys =]
now thinking engine swap but what about simple stuff
like injectors,re-map,turbo,sports air panel,sports cat stuff like that
combined together you think they would make a difference?

Agreed and the cost of the B18 in the long run will be substantially less than trying to get a good amount of power out of a small displacement motor. Also what parts are available for the 1.4L. I know that here in the US the 1.5L is not tunable due to the fact that all of the parts have to be custom made or are just not simply produced. In short some motors are built to be turds with no aspirations of being anything else.

If you throw a b18 integra engine in that car mate it will be a bit of a beast anyway without a turbo on.It would be so much fun.Then if you still wanted then turbo it.But belive mi like its been said,from 90 to 198 without turbo is massive jump anyway.Plus remember insurance!!!!

Last edited:
c130:yer the parts are plenty full mate
so got no worry about that =]
what options you get over there?...
but yer b18 lump it is then
been looking for a scraped integra cant find one =[
do you know if you have to change any mountings?
or strengthen them at all?
and you rekon my 1997 civic chassis will take the lump?
cheers ..

Last edited:
not sure if youll need the mounts or custom ones built, cant see the 1.4 ones holding up.
the chasis should have no problem as the 5dr hatchback (looked like a rover 400) had the B18 engine in the VTIs model 9 only 170 bhp in that thou ;)

As far as i know you can use b18 mounts,il look into it more.Go for a b18c4 then.Just change the gear box to the integra s80 gearbox.Closer gear ratios.Then source more parts of the integra as the build goes.Cams,springs,retainers,throttle body,air inlet mani.Cheaper option too.

ok cheers for all your ....
ill let you know how well im geting on soon
think ive found one but they are hard to get over here
or at least around my area
cheers again =]

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back