Navigation to be part of the driving test

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
From October 2010 drivers taking a test in the UK will be required to navigate their own route between 2 points.

This should prove that they can drive independently. I guess an instructor is never going to direct a learner into a no entry sign so I have to think this is a good move.

What are your thought? Can you see drivers in the future needing to do "the knowledge" to pass a driving test or do you think this will stay quite simple?

I think it will be similar to the Pass Plus, whereas the instructor tells you where you will be going and you have to prepare the route etc. This normally involes showing the instructor you can use his sat nav adequately and showing you know how it works.

I think this is a good idea as it makes you more aware of road signs etc as you need them to see where your going, and encourages you to go out of your comfort zone (area wise).

I think this will remain quite simply but is a good idea all round.

oh crap! Glad I don't have to take my test nowadays!! I'm horrific at navigation! Without sat-nav I am proper lost.

Same I just would not pass the test unless I lived in the area, my nav skills are actually shocking.

i think it will,

watching some programme 1 night called anatomy of a car crash,
12% of car crashes in europe acount for people not knowing where their going

it sounds like a good move, but lets wait and see