N47D20C in MY13 Mini Cooper

CooperDdriver

Car
Mini Cooper D 2.0TD
Hey folks

New here and apologies for invading the BMW owners forum but I'm having difficulty finding out much info regarding the N47T in my 2013 Cooper D (Baker Street edition, if that's relevant).

From a VIN search and sales documentation, I'm confident I have the 1995cc 82KW version of this motor and now that I'm well out of warranty its time for some engine work :) I'd like to up specifications to least the 120KW version if possible and as far as I can tell, this is more than just an aftermarket chip update such as DTUK offer. Can anyone advise what physical components are different on the 82KW vs the 120/135KW versions? I know higher output engines run piezo injectors but what else is different? Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to a fellow Brisbaneite |B

Surely there must be a workshop here in Brisbane that specializes in Minis that should be able to help with power upgrades ? .

The other option would be to trade it in on a more powerful model.

Trade-in is not an option as there are zero high output diesels available in R56 guise as far as I'm aware., you have to go for a countryman - no offence to Countryman owners but yuk...

So you have the equivalent to the engine in the E81 & E87 116d E90 316d and are aiming to build something similar to the one in the E81, E82, E87 and E88 118d or the 320d E90. https://www.torquecars.com/bmw/n47-tuning.php

The 201hp versions use a twin turbo setup, the 161hp up versions have a bigger turbo and different ecu/injector setup.

The T denotes a technical update where the timing chain was revised and the ECU was also tweaked quite a bit so you have a good solid engine to work on.

From memory the cam profile is different and as you say the bigger power ones use pintle injectors vs the earlier Piezo's which can't be swapped in easily. The primary difference is the ECU tune, so a remap will do a lot to raise the power, and you should find your existing injectors will cope well with that.

I don't know for sure but turbo internals were sometimes revised between models, to put peak power in a different area, or to safely run highter boost.

Cheers Wayne that's helpful. I've seen the same Turbo (part #49135-05830) listed for both the 141HP and 174HP engines. Do they both use the same actuator or is power purely a function of different cam profile, ecu and injectors?

Sorry I don't know for sure. Actuators are likely to be the same as the turbo part is the same but I've seen wiring differences for the same part, so it mates at the mechanical end ok but needs different wiring/software/sensors to work.

My experience lies with Audi engines so I don't know if BMW have similar anomalies or quirks. But I'm sure someone who knows will find this post and chime in.

The main difference is the ECU mapping, everything else is an aside, unless that is, you are aiming at very high power gains.