mk1 Focus to mk1 Focus st170

bucko99

Car
mk1 focus st170
Hi i was hoping someone could help me im hoping to buy a mk1 2004 focus ST tommorow night but i was wondering if my powerflow cat back i have on my 2002 mk1 focus would fit on it any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks james

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)

If your buying an st170 then you will probably loose power.
St170's are highly tuned from the factory, so getting extra power out of them is a costly business.

^^ I agree with TN here.

But a well made exhaust should be will be fine, but not much in extra power. You could cam it, if you want power, but you'll need a lot of head work and bottom end work to make the most of them plus besoke mapping, larger injectors etc. On average, if I remember reading it correctly, to get 220bhp from an ST170 costs nearly £3k, as for maximum power, throttle bodies will have to be fitted aswell. For that you could buy a MK1 RS engine, fit it and have 220bhp standard.

Most of the people i know have put in over 2 grand and only just seen 180bhp, so the magazine must have used nitrous to get that power.
St170's were a flop to be honest. They never even came with the quoted 170 bhp, it's closer to 160.
They was tuned from the factory which is why it's hard to get any amount of power out of them.

Last edited:
Most of the people i know have put in over 2 grand and only just seen 180bhp, so the magazine must have used nitrous to get that power.
St170's where a flop to be honest. They never even came with the quoted 170 bhp, it's closer to 160.
They was tuned from the factory which is why it's hard to get any amount of power out of them.

Ahh, okay. Quite possibly. It was a while ago.

Nice cars though, but for the insurance costs, an RS would be a better bet. Bit silly really.

thanks for the replies im not looking to do all that just yet, its my first reasonably fast car going from my mk1 1.6 100 bhp too a st with around 170 is a great upgrade for the time being. An FRS was waaay out of my budget atm or that would have been my choice.

Yes it was pal got warranty but i just dont trust the car after that happening after 2 days. Also the salesman is now being a cocky t**t.
great times

Just to update i got the car back yesterday afternoon they have sorted the problems hopefully i can have to car for longer than 2 days before it goes wrong this time!

Hi there, I hope you are well. May I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do. (It gets quite addictive at times.)

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"! (It's also great when people start new threads and discussions and all adds to the great debate.)

Keep us up to date with your project as well, we like to see what people are getting up to with their cars.

Hope the car holds together for you and you have many years of enjoyment with it.

Hi all again so they 'fixed' the car a day later then engine management light came on again, so i gave up with them and fixed it myself, got it plugged in and it was the inlet manifold runner control valve was 'stuck open' (apparently a common fault on st170's) replaced the part and the management light has been off ever since so heres hoping! now to hopefully start modding work instead of fixing it....
James

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back