McLaren F1 vs Bugatti Veyron

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
In a straight line 1 mile drag race between the McLaren F1 and Bugatti Veyron, which do you think will win?

Bugatti Veyron 987bhp => 530bhp per tonne
McLaren F1 627bhp => 550bhp per tonne

I think it is pretty close to call but what are your thoughts?

I thought a very general rule of thumb was bhp = speed and torque = acceleration.

So what are the torque figures on those cars. And more importantly what are the gear box ratios?!

I thought a very general rule of thumb was bhp = speed and torque = acceleration.

No way, power:weight is a much better rule of thumb if you're going to use one, but obviousely loses it's effect the faster the speeds get.

I'm going for the Mclaren F1. Does anybody have one of each we could race?

Thought not.

This race will be done in this series of Top Gear so we will get to actually see the answer!

I guess it will be whichever one James is not driving?! :lol:

I'd go with the superior pwr/weight ratio for this purpose if all else is equal.

But if the Veyron with it's full time 4wd and sophisticated wheel by wheel torque management makes a better job of getting the power down on the road than the [relatively] crude McLaren then it might be closer than we think. It might even reverse the final result.

I think they knew which would win as Hammond was in the Veyron and won - if The Stig had won (regardless of which car he was in) some might argue the driver had something to do with the result.

It was interesting to see they only swapped positions about half way through - so a 'normal' drag race - 1/4 mile - would see the F1 winning.

Probably was a set up, but if you ponder these sorts of things too much the entertainment value's lost.

I always thought the Mclaren would be faster on the pull off due to it's weight advantage. But when the Veyron gets into it's stride I knew it would eat it up. They didn't make it to be second best after all. And I also believe that if someone beats the Veyron at some point they will have a trick up their sleaves to make it even faster.

as seen on top gear the buggatti wins hand down, but with 4 turbos w 16 block, it didnt win by that much, and the mclaren pulled away first, and it could corner better at high speeds

on paper yes the buggatti is faster, but in real life, i think the mclaren is the winner

as seen on top gear the buggatti wins hand down, but with 4 turbos w 16 block, it didnt win by that much, and the mclaren pulled away first, and it could corner better at high speeds

on paper yes the buggatti is faster, but in real life, i think the mclaren is the winner

The Mclaren only did so well because of the Stig. If another racing driver was in the Veyron it would have smashed the Mclaren. Plus I bet they was limited to how hard they could push the Veyron.

i cant understand why the buggatti is so adored, its an overrated piece of german #!#!#!#!
w16 4 turbos 4 = 1001 bhp

pagini zonda
kooinzegg
just a few that are v12 n/a engines churning out 8 - 900bhp

i know you like turbo, nutter but out of 4 turbos, buggatti can only get 100 bhp more??
thats 25bhp per turbo, i have more psi in the morning releasing my urine

thats the way i look at the buggatti
and in order to acheive top speed, it has to change shape like some transformer, and as a result it cant corner
might aswell have 1 of those land speed record machines, it would be a lot faster too

i dont like the veyron
it has the biggest engine block out of all the hyper cars a w 16, plus 4 huge turbos, and its only faster by 10 mph than the second fastest car in the world, that to me is a waste, i expected it to be a lot faster for what it has

prevec youve got to remember that after a certain speed you need to increase the power by alot to over come the resistance caused by the air friction never mind the friction on the tyres. thats why that fuel tank is small. i can empty itself at full speed before the tyres over heat
remember that its the second fastest car in the world now but youve got to remember that the bugatti is actually a GT car with alot of equipment compared to the other hypercars out there CD player, leccy windows, climate control, cruise control etc. alot of these other "hypercars" dont have any of this and still stuggle to make 220mph.

also the develoment that went into this car was immense :
tyres had to be custom made
pistons contently melted
block over heated
also they arnt 1001bhp they are more than that so if a buyer does put it on a road they will show over 1000 bhp at the wheels

prevec youve got to remember that after a certain speed you need to increase the power by alot to over come the resistance caused by the air friction never mind the friction on the tyres. thats why that fuel tank is small. i can empty itself at full speed before the tyres over heat
remember that its the second fastest car in the world now but youve got to remember that the bugatti is actually a GT car with alot of equipment compared to the other hypercars out there CD player, leccy windows, climate control, cruise control etc. alot of these other "hypercars" dont have any of this and still stuggle to make 220mph.

also the develoment that went into this car was immense :
tyres had to be custom made
pistons contently melted
block over heated
also they arnt 1001bhp they are more than that so if a buyer does put it on a road they will show over 1000 bhp at the wheels
the development cost them 4 million per car, i know a lot of #!#!#!#! went into it

id go for another hyper car still, i never liked it, i think its overrated

The veyron was an amazing piece of engineering. And yes the Keonigsegg has more power than the Veyron with 1018bhp. But that is running Bio Fuel. On regular fuel it's around 800bhp. And also used alot of weight saving parts so it's alot lighter than the Veyron. And also the Zonda has less power than the Veyron.