Massive crash in supermarket car park

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I saw a massive crash in a supermarket car park. An old lady driving a Kia got up enough speed to cave in the rear of a BMW and just didn't seem to see the car in front of her until it was too late.

The car park was pretty busy to start with without this added chaos.

I do think older drivers should be ability tested or all drivers should attend a refresher test every 10 years or so to keep the driving standard up.

:sad2:

I remember about two years ago and about this time, a lady in a car in Sainsbury's car park drove into a parked car.

Her car was so misted up you could not actually tell if there was a driver or a specter behind the wheel. I went over to help to see that she had a car full of kids in the back, here's the ridiculous thing, she had absolutely no idea about the front and side demisters when I asked why her car was so steamed up that she could not see out - she drove along the road like this :amazed:

She had actually been driving for years and never used it because it's function had never been explained to her before.

I gave her a lesson in what to do and contacted the security chaps to call the owner of the other damaged car.

^^^ Yes indeed, I see cars driving around London like this (Ruddy idiots) and I fear for the cyclist riding alongside it :sad2:

This annoys me. Its like when it was reported that a sizeable amount of people had no idea if they had a spare or a can of foam. You SHOULD KNOW what the basic functions of your controls are.

Maybe it should be added to the test-now show me how you would direct air to the windscreen and why you would need to.

You SHOULD KNOW what the basic functions of your controls are.
Maybe it should be added to the test-now show me how you would direct air to the windscreen and why you would need to.

This gets my vote, now who do we talk too to get the ball rolling?

How many actually read the owners manual let alone understand most of the features built into modern cars.???

I would be quite happy to be retested as driving well to the best of my ability is a no brainer BUT how many out there have, since being let loose on the roads had another lesson or training to improve their skills??

Last edited:
How many actually read the owners manual let alone understand most of the features built into modern cars.???

I would be quite happy to be retested as driving well to the best of my ability is a no brainer BUT how many out there have, since being let loose on the roads had another lesson or training to improve their skills??

Not many and no where near enough!!!!!

Sadly those most in need of some additional driver training are those least likely to seek it.

I'd happily be re tested and have my perception, awareness, attitude and anticipation checked.

I have done the occasional half day session (at my own expense and voluntarily) with a Police Class 1 Examiner just to keep my standards of driving where I want them to be. I like having my road driving skills assessed.

I've got to hold my hands up here and say I never used to use the ac to clear the screen until the other day when I forgot to turn it off and the screen cleared within a minute. So from now on I'll definitely be using it cause the heater on the 75 takes forever to warm up.

I've got to hold my hands up here and say I never used to use the ac to clear the screen until the other day when I forgot to turn it off and the screen cleared within a minute. So from now on I'll definitely be using it cause the heater on the 75 takes forever to warm up.

Is your thermostat stuck open?

Is your thermostat stuck open?

Nope it's just a design flaw all 75 diesels take forever to warm up which is why I've been trying to get hold of a pre heater I've won 3 on ebay 2 have never arrived so got refunded this 3rd one I won and paid for on the 4th so I'm in dispute over this one too but there may be a light at the end of the tunnel with this one cause the exhaust for it turned up yesterday so hopefully today or tomorrow I'll actually get the heater who knows

Grand. Always wanted a preheater but damn they're expensive.

The 75 ones ain't to bad all 3 I've won have been £100 or less then add £75 for the pump £30 for the remote control, wires and fixings £205 ain't to bad tbh

I do think older drivers should be ability tested or all drivers should attend a refresher test every 10 years or so to keep the driving standard up.

Im interested to know at what age you youngsters think us oldies are past it. The accident stats say its you younger drivers that need to up your game. There will be far more boy racers having accidents today than oldies.
Can I suggest respectfully you worry about your own driving standard & not be quite so keen to suggest the oldies cant cope.

Im interested to know at what age you youngsters think us oldies are past it. The accident stats say its you younger drivers that need to up your game. There will be far more boy racers having accidents today than oldies.
Can I suggest respectfully you worry about your own driving standard & not be quite so keen to suggest the oldies cant cope.
Maybe all drivers should be reviewed/assessed every 10 years.
As Mad rod says the stats don,t lie.
There are bad drivers across the entire age range.

Personally I think being able to have a moped at 16 especially and a car at 17 is madness. It's been proved that the teenage years are when your decision-making capabilities are at their worst. Teenagers are basically a bit brain-damaged.

Male brains are not fully developed till app 25 Females a few years earlier. Just add raging hormones into the mix and add inexperience + peer pressure it's little wonder why 1 in 6 newly licensed teenage drivers will be involved in a major crash involving death or serious permanent injury before age 25.

I agree for 99% of it. Right in the middle in my mid 40's. I am always interested in statistics. But I'd like to have the raw gathered data too so I can perform my own analysis. Statisticians can skew things in all kinds of ways. It depends upon which political faction you are trying to impress / which party you are working for.

Stats are a good and reliable way to politically mis-represent the truth without actually lying.

So - with every bit of propaganda which is supported with statistical analyses let's have the raw data too please.

Blair, Brown, Cameron, Clegg etc. Take note

^^^ Exactly! I attended University from the age of 19 and they don't usually do this if undergraduates "Male brains are not fully developed till app 25" :wink:

Hopefully education will be the key to helping our newly qualified drivers on the road to do the right thing.