losing power

C

cheeks

can anyone advise me on what to check when engine keeps losing power and has to be restarted to get it to get going again only for it to stop after ten minutes or so. The car is a xj6. I would be very grateful for any ideas. Thanks.

Ok - welcome to the site BTW. How long have you had the car? What is the current mileage? We need all of the symptoms to help diagnose this. Does it happen on a warm or cold engine, is it regularly serviced. Loss of power - do you mean a flat spot at a certain rev range or does it cut out completely or do you lose power at all rev ranges? I suspect is it probably a dodgy sensor somewhere - get the Lambda and air flow meter checked, if you can get it on a rolling road you will probably pickup the problem a lot quicker - it would be interesting to know if it starts to run rich or lean. Does the temp gauge rise or fall quickly? Are there any unusual noises from the engine bay - hissing etc...?

Sorry took so long to reply
I had that on a XJR it turned out to be the Air Flow meter.
Came of pushing the accclerator when starting stopped doing that never happended again

Check your fuel pressure, if low, first replace the fuel filter and check again, if still low, replace fuel pump,if however everything checks out OK, check the ignition coil and amplifier, check distributor cap and rotor and replace all suspect parts and HT leads(run the engine at night with the bonnet open and check for HT leakage by visual observation)