karl

rossi1zzfe

Car
toyota celica1zzfe
hey everyone im new to this forum, i guess you guys have had this ? asked a million times but im currently thinking of turboing my celica 1zzfe, is there anything i should really think of changing internally if im runnin a low boost of around 5psi for the time being? untill i crank the boost up eventually.. i know should have got the 2zz lol

thanks dagger and t9 man ill have a look at this, i know it will cost a few grand but really like this shape celica kinda going to be a project car :)

If you like the shape and your pockets are deep enough then go for it!
I wish you the very best of luck along with all the other members on this forum :)
If we can be of any assistance to you then please do not hesitate to ask ;)

thanks was a good read alot to think about im thinking of adding a t3 t4 hybrid turbo with wastegate and actuator i know a gd tune is vital, thinking of running a low boost of around 5psi on stock internals for time being then thinking of forged internals when cranking boost up depending on what i want, you guys think 5psi is safe on the internals to start with? many thanks.

tcsmileysign.gif

Sorry karl I'm afaraid my knowledge on FI is very limited :embarrest: but there are good few on here who'll be able to give you an answer soon. :D

hey turbo nutter thanks, how are you today? i could swap the engine but i like a challenge :) my turbo should be here tomorrow ill try keep everyone posted once i get all the kits sorted and tested

I'm good buddy how's yourself?
Your challenge will be getting a decent map as this will be key as to whether the engine lets go or stays together.
Have you thought about lowering the compression?
After you've passed 10 posts get some pics up. ;)

hey turbo nutter thanks, how are you today? i could swap the engine but i like a challenge :) my turbo should be here tomorrow ill try keep everyone posted once i get all the kits sorted and tested

good good, yeah im fine mate thanks. im i was thinking of maybe a thicker head gasket also bin looking at water injection method to reduce detonation if the compression is still too high, got the t3-t4 hybrid turbo today with wastegate and actuator psi starts from 5 upto 27, will have the manifold maybe weekend. i will get some pics up over weekend buddy.

Last edited:
I'm working on my conversion at the moment.
Been sourcing the bit and pieces gradually.
I picked up an intercooler for $150 NEW. core is 600X300X115mm. It's going to be a challenge to fit. Will have twin TC06's oversized to 50/70 impellers and body enlarged.
The car has a N/A Ecotec engine 3.8 ltr. I have some forged pistons for the job and turbo valves to add all to reduce the compression and add strength.
Can't afford to go all out on the crank shaft so I'll be keeping it a modest boost.
FUN STUFF

bloody hell lol sounds like you have your hands full buddy, im kinda hoping to get away with forged pistons and thicker gasket keep boost low and leave the crank for now, let me know how you get on with it mate. you got any pics of it up yet? you know the two connections on a wastegate? what connects to them? some kinda servo?

What does the celica have, Being in AUS it's all different here.
Over in Europe some wouldn't know what a Ecotec is. Anyway, I wish we had a larger range of cars over here to choose from but hey.
What I listed for my turbo job was only part of what I have already.
All I need know is some stainless 3" pipe for connecting the intake to FI system and some stainless 1.75" or there abouts for the headers I'll be making.
Before I start on the turbo I still need to finish the Auto to Manual conversion.
That is a nightmare and a half for the Buick/ ecotec engines because they're externally balanced to the flex plate/flywheel. (SEEMS NUTS TO ME to do it that way)

I do have some pics together but still have more planned.

Here's a pic of the Intercooler I scored. The pipes are 75mm and curve around to fit in under the front bumper bar nicely (I hope :) )
The waste gate and "SERVO" your thinking of would be a vacuum diaphragm setup which works on the vacuum created once throttle is closed the turbo gate will open to relieve the pressure so you dont blow things up. Mine is vacuum operated anyway.
They probably do have electronic gate activation too but I don't know enough about that.
I'm good at working with what ever is in front of me.

Wether its a car, motor bike, auto electrics, heads to port, or a house to renovate :blink:. I guess you could call me a Jack of all trade master of none(or some!!!). It comes from having done many different jobs through my working ??career??!!. I can't cope with working for a boss much so I end up moving on to other things all the time. I drive ME NUTS. :neutral:
That's enough ranting.
Here's a couple of pics of my bits and peices,
The Intercooler is sitting on my V6 engine just to give a perspective of the size.
The impellers are 1 stock size compared to the oversize I have fitted (so far to 1 of the turbo's) had to machine a countersunk lip for the larger impeller to fit without hitting the body. AT $150 for the 2 turbo's which included the new impellers I was pretty stoked. I think I will have to get the turbo's balanced befor I can fit them. Anyone have an Idea what that can cost??
I think I started a thread on some of my stuff but not sure.
Definately nothing elaborate like OldGitt's awsome setup

Attachments

• IC size comp.jpg
    IC size comp.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IC115Thick.jpg
    IC115Thick.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Turbo impeller stock to OS comp.jpg
    Turbo impeller stock to OS comp.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
that radiator is HUGE lol when you hopeing to have it finally finished? bet that will shift with twin turbo set up was it a turbo or na when you got it? i will put some pics up later ive past me ten poasts yey lol.

Won't be for a bit yet :(
I am renovating the house aswell so I do work on it sporadically ATM.
I need to get stuck into it.
The genuine engine is a N/A but I have a spare engine I plan to add forged hypereutectic lower compression pistons and I have a set of new stock intake valves off a turbo engine. (they have a concave "indent" to reduce the compression too)
I'm kind of thinking a under car at rear twin TB setup. But haven't decided yet.
I am waiting for the right "cheap" option to source the 3" pipe I will be using for the induction intake. I would love to get stainless pipe but my budget (or lack of) dictates the end result. Luckily I'm pretty good at coming up with alternatives and saving HEAPS through not using the "BRAND NAME" options. I'll take some more pics tomorrow if your interested. The FLYWHEEL I made up to convert from Auto to Manual is "unique"
They cost between $250 to $450 for the correct F/W for the VS Ecotec
(buick 3800 V6). Mine is off an older model and has 6 bolt to 8 bolt adaptor I made in the lathe. This flywheel is buyable at $20 second hand. (big difference)
Anyway that's another topic.

You can see where I had to grind off the original counter balance to neatral balance then I fitted the counter balance weight from the flex plate to the (hopefully) correct position on the flywheel.
I hope to have it running this week for a test on wether the flywheel is close enough to being balanced to this engine.
I did it myself because there are no engine rebuilders near me that will do a counterbalance to these engines.

Attachments

• FW CB WEIGHT.jpg
    FW CB WEIGHT.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
i agree if you can have ago yourself then why not, yeah let me know how the test goes buddy sounds like you have it figured out ill look forward to seeing how it goes. i will also be working on mine in the next week will get them photos up too.

Hi there, I hope you are well. May I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do. (It gets quite addictive at times.)

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"! (It's also great when people start new threads and discussions and all adds to the great debate.)

Keep us up to date with your project as well, we like to see what people are getting up to with their cars.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back