Just another noobie saying hello.

Hi Georges and a very warm welcome to TorqueCars its nice to have you along. Another VAG owner in our midst! Good stuff.

Have done no modifications to this car. bought it at 52000 from one lady owner (i bet she drove it over 40 mph). It just feels so new and pulls buckets. Had it for 2 years now. The more I read about modifications, the more I am reluctant to do it. I need to research what parts I need to compliment (tunnig for example); sureley, you need to change some parts if you modify hwo the car handles. I just need to read more.

on my MK2, I put a new suspension, lowered by 30mm, 16inch alloys, new sport exhaust. Changed all cabling to either silicon (inside engine) or steel type for the brakes. New brake discs (grooved and drilled), all round. I love driving this car. It is in garage now and heavily locked with alarm system, 6 attempts to steal it (not that difficult on these cars). this is a genuine 1988/89 GTI MK2 (not modified to look like one as I see a lot in my area) and no power steering. Engine only did 77000. I am reluctant to change anything else. I might port the cylinder head at 100000.

Thanks for the welcome again.

with regards to the Mk4. youve said about putting 18" r32 ones one your right you need to change the steering rack ( im supposed to have done it with having the 17s on but it feels just the same) problem being youd need the Audi tt rack or the r32 one, and from what ive heard the tie-rods are a different size so you need he subframe as well.

Mk2 not bad 6 attemts and not gone yet, you must be lucky

with regards to the Mk4. youve said about putting 18" r32 ones one your right you need to change the steering rack ( im supposed to have done it with having the 17s on but it feels just the same) problem being youd need the Audi tt rack or the r32 one, and from what ive heard the tie-rods are a different size so you need he subframe as well.

Mk2 not bad 6 attemts and not gone yet, you must be lucky

Really? I thouhgt I can just buy the 18inch and bolt them on (on the MK4 not hte MK2) :p

yeah they will go stright on. dont know why but the racks suposed to be changed as well. like i say ive put on the 17" from the tt and theres no difference in the steering. think it says something about it in the handbook

Dont know what the r32 wheel nuts are like but i had to go back to the standard ones. the audi ones were 10mm longer and although ok on the back on the front they were catching on something and were a C*** to get back off as the threads had been bent.

ok only thing i could find is thats its a good idea as it speeds up the steering, R32, 225tt rack takes 2.5 turns lock to lock. standard is 3.3. must be to do with the extra weight of the wheels

ok only thing i could find is thats its a good idea as it speeds up the steering, R32, 225tt rack takes 2.5 turns lock to lock. standard is 3.3. must be to do with the extra weight of the wheels

Interesting. Thanks for the info, will definitely look at it.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back