Introducing V262C

V262C

Car
Volvo 262c '80
Hello all.

I've discovered 'Torquecars' this afternoon while searching information on the web.

As I noticed that there was a forum available, I decided to register cause I think everybady can learn in forum discussions.

I live in southern Belgium, in a small town called Dinant on the river Meuse.

It's not my first forum experience, I'm a member of a french volvo forum since 2006, and very happy of all the friendly contacts I met on it, but they are not very involved into tuning engine.

I hope I will find here what I'm missing on the other forum.

Sorry if my english is sometimes not excellent, but I don't practice enough nowadays.

:blink1:

hey and welcome to the worldwide famous torquecars.
Dont worry about your engilsh its better than some of us on here

whats been done to the volvo ?

Don't know yet if it's really worldwide famous, but I'm very enthousiast to discover about it...:bigsmile:

The project of the volvo bertone coupe is an old dream.

At the beginning, God created day and night and thought it was good (you know that... :lol:) , and... a long time later, I fell into volvo philosophy for eternity... and when volvo made the 262coupe with Bertone, I knew that one day I'd get one, ... in fact I got 3 for 1... :embarrest:

While I was looking for the car I wanted, I was learning everything I could about it.

One day, I fell on a report in VW SCENE magazine about IPD and a full white 262c that had been tuned by swapping the V6 engine with a 4L 2.3 turbo from a 760. They explained that the V6 wasn't as reliable as the 4 in line red blocs.

So, I was going to know why and discover that the V6 was not as bad as common people could think it was.

On the other hand, having a car that was supposed the top of the 200 serie family with only 140 or 150HP according to the engine 2664cc or 2849cc seemed not enough for me comparing to the 155HP of the 2127cc turbo :(

I quickly heard that the PRV V6 was very reliable in its second version with the split crankpin crankshaft that came for the first time in the peugeot 505 V6 in 1985, too late for the 262c that disappeared in 1982 :rolleyes:

Some tuners even got more than 1000HP from this engine :amazed:

So if I could get 40 or 50HP more than the genuine 150HP, I would be happy...

After finding the car and beginning to restore it, the first step was to find the famous crankshaft... too expensive as single part, I bought a V6 3.0 from a citroen XM for less than the crankshaft and began to dismount it.

Now I wish to make some work on the cylinder heads and the k-jet, to get a little more power.

;)

Hi there. Great to have you along. If we are not famous in Belgium can you tell all of your mates about us then?

Turbos give the best power gains for tuning. You can usually remap then, add larger turbos and increase the fuelling without doing a lot of internal strengthening as the engines are pretty solid.

You won't be dissapointed with the V6 though. A supercharger might help increase power but it will be a pain to set one up yourself. If you can get a kit you will find it much easier.

Hi there. Great to have you along. If we are not famous in Belgium can you tell all of your mates about us then?

Turbos give the best power gains for tuning. You can usually remap then, add larger turbos and increase the fuelling without doing a lot of internal strengthening as the engines are pretty solid.

You won't be dissapointed with the V6 though. A supercharger might help increase power but it will be a pain to set one up yourself. If you can get a kit you will find it much easier.

I was just joking about the 'worldwide famous', don't worry about that... ;)

I know all that about turbos or superchargers, but legislation in Belgium doesn't allow that since 1968 on any car.

The car must be conformed to the certificate given by the manufacturer to the registration division. I think it's just a problem of evaluating the circulation tax, but there's no possibility to pass over.

A modified car will get a red card at the Technical Control if the transformation can be seen. For example, swapping the carb for an injection if forbidden... :( or the manufacturer has to give a certificate allowing... :rolleyes:

:lol: - You can still tell all your friends about us! ;)

We had a guy on here with an Imported Hummer who had great trouble getting it registered for use. I think he registered it in the UK and then transferred it to Belgium. I wonder if you can do the same with your modifications, otherwise it does limit your options.

Sounds like you'll be doing internal mods like flowing the head, getting a fast road camshaft and a remap or similar.

:lol: - You can still tell all your friends about us! ;)

We had a guy on here with an Imported Hummer who had great trouble getting it registered for use. I think he registered it in the UK and then transferred it to Belgium. I wonder if you can do the same with your modifications, otherwise it does limit your options.

Sounds like you'll be doing internal mods like flowing the head, getting a fast road camshaft and a remap or similar.

The problem is that there's never been any 262c with other engine than V6 PRV and that the registration must correspond to a model that volvo really produced...

The injection in that model is 100% mecanic, so impossible to remap anything...

The only solution is as you said, doing internal mods and setting a good genuine exhaust, or a little bigger. I also thought about lightening the flywheel to get a better increase, and precisely balancing the internal parts.

Sure I'm going to speak on the french forum about TorqueCars :blink1:

Yes balancing will help, get the head fully gas flowed and raise the compression. Skimming the head will help raise the compression but you would be better off with some high compression pistons really.

Lightening the flywheel may not be the answer. With a fast road cam and for daily use you will lose power - at least it will feel less powerful when you hit a hill.;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back