Inline, Boxer, V or W configurations

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are the pros and cons of inline, boxer, V and W configuration engines?

Do more cylinders automatically mean a smoother engine?

What about comparing an inline 6 cylinder with a V5 or V6 engine, which would be smoother?

Does the angle also make much difference? People talk about the degrees of angle but does this matter?

Which configuration do you prefer?

V6 is best at 60 degrees, though there are many 90 degree configurations too.
Straight six generally smoother than V6 due to perfect secondary balance. No need for balance shafts.
V6 generally higher revving due to shorter crankshaft than straight 6.

There are good and bad engines though, I'd rather take a well engineered four than a poor six.

V5 is really a straight five with offset pistons. VW used this setup in many models including Passat, Golf, Bora, Seat Toledo. Nice engine, it appeals to me for its quirkiness. It shouldn't work, but it does.

Aren't boxer motors supposed to have the best harmonics/balance and also help a lower COG??

The trouble with boxer engines is the intake and exhaust lengths vary so much, it gives them their unique sound. I'm not sure that is such a bad thing though for performance as pipe lengths can be matched. The first engine I remember hearing and falling in love with was a 3.0 GTV alfa with a boxer engine.

Obi mate you been on the turps ;) the GTV had a glorious looking and sounding V6 as well as a in line 4.|B

Equal length exhausts are available for WRX and they eliminate the lumpy boxer sound that many love.

The Alfa 33 and Sud had a boxer motor but don't remember any of them sounding like a REX.

Thats why Scoobies nowadays sound a lot more tame. The older models used un eqaul length pipes whereby new models use equel lengths pipes in the exhaust and intake.

Intake and exhaust have more to do with engine noise than the configuration surely?

A lazy low rpm Torquey V8 will sound rubbish with a tinny rattly exhaust and 1.0 turbo can sound awesome with an induction kit and sports exhaust.

All these parts enhance what is there originally, so IMO the engine does make a difference to the sound which is then amplified through the induction and exhaust phases.