Info and questions on nitrous kits

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Just thinking about getting a full nitrous kit but have loads of questions.
  1. In the UK are these road legal to use?
  2. How much does a refill cost?
  3. How long does a bottle last?
  4. What size bottle should I go for?
  5. What is a safe power level for an unmodified car?
  6. Do any other parts have to be upgraded to make it work?
  7. Why do some people recommend a bottle warmer?

1) No but there is some debate, it all depends on whether nitrous oxide is classed as a second fuel. Insurance companies generally refuse to provide road use on these kits.

Go for the largest bottle you can, the duration depends much on the jet size. When set up for drag racing you could empty a 5 kg bottle in just 8 seconds or so.

The bottle warmers help give consistent pressure especially as the bottle empties. In my opinion you don't really need them in the uk.

For a standard car I would stick with a 25bhp shot, most cars could handle this ok as long as the fuelling matches the requirements of the engine.

Just thinking about getting a full nitrous kit but have loads of questions.
  1. In the UK are these road legal to use?
  2. How much does a refill cost?
  3. How long does a bottle last?
  4. What size bottle should I go for?
  5. What is a safe power level for an unmodified car?
  6. Do any other parts have to be upgraded to make it work?
  7. Why do some people recommend a bottle warmer?
1.EU regs class nitrous as a second fuel, just shows you how much they know about what they are doing! However, it is legal on UK roads, as long as you inform your insurance company and they are prepared to cover you. Adrian Flux, for example, will cover you.
2. Approx £6 a lb
3. Depends on size of bottle and jets. 0.8 lbs N2O X 10 seconds = 100 horsepower.
4. Depends on space available and usage. Usual sizes are 10 and 15lb.
5. Depends entirely on the engine, but 25bhp shouldn't hurt any engine in a good condition.
6. No
7. Bottle pressure should be kept close to 1000psi so a pressure controlled heated blanket is a good idea for serious users.