Ignition Timing

Hangar 18

Wrench Pro
Car
Peugeot 405 GLX
My engine is a PSA XU10J2TE (XU10J2CTE) and I have been reading about the theories behind ignition timing, how to work out the arc and therefore the distance (effectively) you'd have to turn the distributor cap to advance the timing to get complete combustion up higher in the rev range and am wondering:

- If my engine is mainly torque (petrol but power is between 2k and 4.5k- 200lbft peak and 150hp peak) is advancing the ignition timing going to make a positive difference- possibly extend the engine's "breath" as it currently runs out of breath at 5k?

- Is there enough headroom for this on 98/99 octane pump fuel? Or Is the knock sensor just going to end up winding the timing back slightly to prevent detonation ultimately?

- on an XU petrol Peugeot/Citroen engine- has this been done and proven any gain?

I'd like to hear opinions and experience regarding this- but if anybody knows any theory about this is petrol turbo engines (albeit a low pressure [~10psi currently- to be 14+psi soon] petrol turbo engine with 8 valves) I'd be more than interested to know- can't seem to find any relevant literature on the web?!

I'm not actually in the correct country to look under the bonnet at the very second- but the existence of a knock-sensor and might have something to do with that then xD haha