If you think French cars are crap

The French are very innovative car makers although some of them do have build quality problems. I was very happy with my 406 facelift model which was equally as well assembled as my current BMW.

But the 406s were built in Coventry.

still dont make french cars any good dont matter what they win

that will fall part in a few years or melt if left in the sun for to long for being nearly all plastic lol

Scrap mate not crap, you missed an s.

:p Just kidding, they are great to drive apparently yes and even look awesome but they do look and feel how they cost, and that's cheap. Particularily on the inside.

Scrap mate not crap, you missed an s.

:p Just kidding, they are great to drive apparently yes and even look awesome but they do look and feel how they cost, and that's cheap. Particularily on the inside.

I can't say that of my 406, that car was well assembled (many reviewers have said similar things of these, and perhaps I was just lucky and got a good one, although it stood up well in a severe frontal impact) but I agree with your statement on just about all other French motors. My Dad had a 405 and everything rattled from day zero. The panels were flimsy, the whole car smelled of cheap glue inside.

I'd quite like a Citroen C6 but if I was to buy one I'd have it taken apart and put back together properly by Saab, BMW, Audi, Volvo etc.

Well we went to look at the new Clios about 3 years ago as the misses wanted one but the inside was pretty cheap and nasty for a modern car. I can only say the same about the Megane before this shape and the older Clios, a work colleagues 172 is shocking inside. That's coming from someone who is well versed in 10-20 year old Fiat build quality LOL.

still dont make french cars any good dont matter what they win

that will fall part in a few years or melt if left in the sun for to long for being nearly all plastic lol

That may have been true ten years ago but if you check rating companies like JD Power you'll see a different story these days.

Evo's write up of the new Megane says it feels better screwed together and higher quality than any of its rivals, Golfs, Focuses etc.

That said, I hope the "french cars are crap" mindset carries on forever, as if it does, you'll be able to get that Megane in 4 years for about 6 grand.

Auron, I had a 172, from new, for 18 months, nothing broke or rattled, and it had kit levels to shame a Merc.

I've also had a 406 as a company car, I had it when I first joined the scheme and had to have a hand-me-down for 6 months. It was 4 year old, had 89k on the clock and is the most solid car I have ever driven.

I walked away from a near-60mph frontal in a 2001 model year 406 so I have to be fair and give it due credit for structural integrity and occupant protection.

That may have been true ten years ago but if you check rating companies like JD Power you'll see a different story these days.

Evo's write up of the new Megane says it feels better screwed together and higher quality than any of its rivals, Golfs, Focuses etc.

That said, I hope the "french cars are crap" mindset carries on forever, as if it does, you'll be able to get that Megane in 4 years for about 6 grand.

Auron, I had a 172, from new, for 18 months, nothing broke or rattled, and it had kit levels to shame a Merc.

I've also had a 406 as a company car, I had it when I first joined the scheme and had to have a hand-me-down for 6 months. It was 4 year old, had 89k on the clock and is the most solid car I have ever driven.

The Megane may have been screwed together properly but some of the design is rubbish to be frank.

The Megane may have been screwed together properly but some of the design is rubbish to be frank.

I'm not overly fond of Renault Migraines either. The Scenic was clever in 1997 and handled more like a normal car than any other mini people carrier of its time.

Design wise I have no problems but the final assemby quality is 'variable'.

I think the new Citroens and Peugeots, particularly the top of the range and sport models are well equipped and nicely done inside and out. I was expecting a lot of plastic and creaks and was pleasantly surprised by them.

I think the new Megane looks rather nice. And at least the previous ones aroused a reaction, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Look at the average german car and you just think "meh." Which tends to be the reaction they inspire in me full stop. And yep, you could quote some uber-barge M5 or RS6, I'm sure they are awesome but as they are not average you can't count them.

I've never owned a super car, French, german, italian, or whatever, but of the 20-odd ordinary cars I've owned down the years the two that made me smile the most, that I looked forward to driving the most, were my Clio 172 and my Alfa 156 V6.

I love the design of the new Megane, and all the current and recent sporty Renaults tbh. They are capable cars too without a shadow of a doubt.

Yugguys 172 was a one off then, must've been built by a German and not a lazy Frenchmen. I don't care what anyone says, they are not a nice place to sit regardless of equipment levels. They feel small and cramped, and the interior is so bland I'd rather pour paint on it just to watch it dry. The low quality of the interiors mean they do not wear well at all.