I don't know what to do

davalav

Pro Tuner
Car
Mini Cooper S R56
Hi guys,

The typical happened yesterday, after making my way to my girlfriends, I hadn't even made it out of South Woodham yet ( 2 mins from where I live ) I had a collision.

The stupid woman, was in the wrong lane on the roundabout going around and was then to pull off cutting every one up didn't even indicate to turn off, and clearly an impatient and equally stupid driver decided to cut her up. So basically she cut every one else up, who in turn was cut up, in which she swarved out the way and I hit the rear of her car. Now she has got my insurence information and as I was in such shock, just left it at that. I have her number though. I personally find it wierd that she was quick to grab my info, yet say she has never had to do this!

Now she said, I'll call you ( this was yesterday, she said I'll call tomorrow at 10 ) Its now almost 3 pm and havent heard a word. Called, texted etc and not a peep.

Problem is though.... I havent a clue wether it be best to claim ( I'll post a picture ) as the damage is dreadful, headlight was cracked, stopped working, bumper is shattered and the bonnet is pushed in. Fortunetly I am happy to pay to replace my parts as I know how and what to do.

What I need advice with is..... Should I pay for her damage, even though she was in the wrong lane, no indication and little damage. and should I let my insurence company know? I am scared I'll mention it and although I did hit her, it was from her own wrong doing?

I am really stuck with this, as it has never happened before.

Last edited:
I cant prove it. Thats why I am struggling with this. We have no witnesses, Its an expereinced driver vs a guy who passed 2 months ago.

Does the damage on either car not help your case as to where the car came from. I dont really understand your diagram though. Did you hit the red car?

Yes. She swarved back into my lane after cutting every one up. On the boot of her car you can see I hit it at an angle, which I on mine its right on pasenger side. Hopefully that may prove she tried to cut every one up.

Looks to me like you joined the roundabout as a car was coming round, which i was taught never to do no matter which lane theyre in.

Again, she didn't indicate. If no one indicated your, as a natural response ot being taught to drive, should proceed as they are going in the direction indicated by the lane she is in. If I joined as she did I would have hit her side and she couldnt have been cut up. This is why I am struggling. No one will believe a new driver as we are all morons..... Apprently.

Okay, assuming she is responsible dont be silly and start paying for her damage. She hit you, you should be contacting your insurance to say "someone hit me, i want to make a claim against her"

Reactions: Loz
Okay, assuming she is responsible dont be silly and start paying for her damage. She hit you, you should be contacting your insurance to say "someone hit me, i want to make a claim against her"

Can I do that though? It clearly looks like I hit her, which I did. But because of HER OWN wrong doing. I am just worried it will go against me.

It depends how much faith you have in being seen as right.
But always report an accident even if there is no claim, my friend didnt and got a huge fine when they did find out

I say definitely ring the insurance company and get that claim in Dave.
Just because you cannot prove anything does not mean you were in the wrong, that's for the insurance company to decide. Having any witnesses around at the time just makes life a lot easier.
Also you should go back to the spot and have a good look around, there may be a camera or two that could you help out. If it is a private camera system then you can ask for a copy of the footage for a nominal fee. If they get funny then report it to the police and they will get the footage for nothing.
If the camera is council or local authority owned, then it will have a contact telephone number and a geographical position number for you to quote.
Also any delays in making a claim unless you have been hospitalised or seeking other medical treatment is not looked on in a favourable light.
Waynne used to work for an insurance company as well clued up on these matters if you need any additional advice from an insurance persons perspective.

You should always inform the insurers even if you settle personally with the other party.

I think the key factor here is who was on the roundabout first. If it was her, then even if she was in the wrong lane you'd struggle to arguen that it was her fault. If it was you then you've got a case. I'm not judging, just commenting.

Thank you all for your advice. I have already started the repairs myself. I have contacted my company and they were very helpful. T9, I'll take a look around hopefully I'll find something. Yugguy, thats why its hard to argue my point. She was on first as she was coming around, in the inside lane preparing to turn off. she was in the wrong lane and is generally in the wrong for attemping to swap lanes and put others in danger as she cut up 2 lanes, mine and the lane she was turning off on. hence why I hit her.

Thanks guys! It's nice to know there's help when you need it! :D I'll take the advice and hopefully something good will come out of it.

I would like to add.... 2 female officers did stop. Asked if everything was okay, and buggered off again. literally they pulled up and went. Is that worth mentioning to the police about?

They had a search for her license plate and nothing came up.... The lady on the phone said, there may be a chance she has no insurence. I asked if any one had put a claim in from another insurer and she said no. There has no sign that an indicent has taken place and it appears I am the first to report it!

Bgger. That'll be why she scarpered. In that case tell the police straight off. And get onto the Motor Insurers Bureau as they can help reimburse you if you've had an accident with an uninsured driver.

Bgger. That'll be why she scarpered. In that case tell the police straight off. And get onto the Motor Insurers Bureau as they can help reimburse you if you've had an accident with an uninsured driver.

Really? Okay... I guess its my part aswell. I said were all fine, of course I am naive and had no idea what to do. Would probably explain why she looked so nervous about the whole thing.

Can I ring the police and ask about the reg number? I have that.....

Yeah I did speak to them about it. It would explain why she doesn't contact me... I'll call the fuzz when I am home and give the reg.

Police were no help. I haven't heard from here in 2 days. This will help my case as it looks like she has put zero effort into getting this sorted out.

TN, I'll pm the plate.

That car is insured. But saying that it might not be her personal car.
Speak to your insurance give them the reg an they will be able to get hold of the company that she is insured with.

Thats what I was thinking mate. Hence why she has made no effort to communicate with me. Okay, they did mention that. But as I hit her, surely I am liable? Meaning HER company will call mine? Or shall I do it anyway?

Even if she contacted her insurance company immeadiately you wouldnt hear anything from anyone for at least 10 days.

They would send out a form to her and wait for it to come back then they would look at it detail and then contact your insurance company who in turn would write to you (actually make that 2 weeks)

Even if she contacted her insurance company immeadiately you wouldnt hear anything from anyone for at least 10 days.

They would send out a form to her and wait for it to come back then they would look at it detail and then contact your insurance company who in turn would write to you (actually make that 2 weeks)

Oh okay... It's a long process then. But I am still shocked as to why I confronted her about her insurence details and politely asked for them and haven't heard anything from her for about 3 days now.

presumably you took her details ? If so I would contact her, If not then I would not have given her any more info than she gave me ( I realise that is no help now though)

But she is obliged to give you her insurance details one way or another.

As said before the fact that the database says the car is insured means nothing either way

Insurance companies have access to more detailed info so your insurance company can check if she was insured

I would say what you think happened to your insurance comapny - if your account of events makes her to blame your insurance company should contact hers for you.

Dont get downhearted

About a year ago i was the victim of a set up attempted fraud claim.

A car with 4 young asians engineered an accident with the help from another car ( at least that was how I saw it )
I wont go into exact details but I did drive into the back of them. there was also the same problem about who was insured/driving

Got a notice of a claim from my insurance company for £40K !!!! ( 4 x wiplash etc etc) and that wasnt not including costs
I gave my version and opinion etc and after some discussions my insurance companies solicitors wrote to the claims company they were using and said the circumstances were extremely suspicious and they would not pay out any claim unless instructed to do so in a court of law

didint even get a reply from the claims company who dropped it as quick as they took it up.

If you dont act like the innocent party you wont get treated as such. By saying "i hit her" youre making it sound like it was your fault.
If you really beleive it was not your fault then start making that claim!!!

Guys, thanks for all your help. I've taken all the advice given, and proceeded to contact my insurence company, they are 'enquiring' about the incident with her insurance company, I think through the reg I gave them.

It's been 3 days and since confronting her about HER insurance and I have heard nothing. In fairness.... I am a really, really laid back guy. I'd rather pay for the damage to my car and call it a day then force her to pay and cause a scene. It was her fault, yes, and I let the police know and my insurance company and described exactly what happened to them both.

The valuable lesson learnt is to keep your wits about you, and seriously, treat EVERYONE as an idiot on the road, you pass and your aware of the problems other road users cause, but untill it happens, your clueless.... It's a shame I had to learn the hard way.... Hopefully it will be cleared up with minimal fuss and not a fortune spent, as I have already sourced all my parts I need.

So what would be the next action? Await for a call from my insurance company, Police, or the lady? I feel I have done enough to leave it in the hands of my company.

Again, cheers I really do appreciate it. :)

You wont get a call from the police because you have acted correctly and informed your insurance company . If she didnt/wouldnt give you her details you cant be expected to pass them on
And I certainly cant see them prosecuting because its your word against hers and she seems to have gone missing. And unless there was an injury they normally are not interested

Cant see you getting a call from her either but maybe some contact by her insurance company . Then just forward it to yours thats what they are for so end of hassle

you can elect to repair your vehicle - that means nothing as far as liablity is concerned just keep records /pictures because they may come in handy you never know

So... reciepts, and the damamge? I have pictures, which I'll keep with my car folder.

The police did tell me that there not involved unless it was a hit and run or some one is injured. That what I meant, a call from her company, sorry. But I doubt that very much.... As I said before, I challenged her for HER details, and the last I heard from her was the 25th.

keep pushing YOUR insurance company to do the leg work, because youve notified them. chances are the insurance companies may put it as knock for knock anyway in which cause if you can repair it yourself you do it, although youll have a claim of £0 depending on how your insurance company log it they wont have paid out so should effect your premium

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back