How many times?

pgarner

TC ModFather
Car
Octy smoke machine
Ok how many times have we all been stopped by the nice blues and twos brothers and what for ?

me twice for not wearing a seat belt - after getting caught the second time by traffic cop, with video, ive worn it ever since.

once or so called dangerous driving - car came flying up behind me one night so close i couldnt see his headlights. my answer to that, after gently touching the brakes and rear fog light on and off, was to drop it a couple of cogs and anchor up then quickly back on the power. amazing how much they backed off after this shame the lights came on near enough straight away. although i got away with this as i said about wanting to see the film before speaking to my lawyer and having my sister in the car as a witness i DONT advise doing this as you can be charged for doing this as it is dangerous. might also be classed as your fault in the event of a crash

once for supposedly drink driving - how i dont know i was still in full camos and stinking of cordite from being on a range that had fired off over 2000 rounds. the good old line "Have you been drinking as i can smell alcohol on your breath ?"

and last night - 1st time in the bora - stopped at 0315 for a routine check.

There's no such thing as a routine check, not in England and Wales, anyway.

The Police are required to tell you why they've stopped you. Of course, they can tell you pretty much anything to justify their actions at the time. But they'd far rather not have to justify to a court why they've stopped you.

Make a note of what they say, especially if you think you're being treated unfairly. Also ask for their names (they'll rarely, if ever, stop you when they're alone on the road) and the name and number of the Officer to whom they report.

If you know you've done nothing wrong and your vehicle is roadworthy (they can tell a lot just by kicking the tyres, ya know!), all mandatory requirements insurance, tax, MoT (if required), you've got a license to drive the thing are in place etc. then don't be coerced into saying anything at all if you suspect they're after scoring brownie points.

The vast majority of Police Officers are superb operators who do, what I think, is a difficult job. A job I would not want to do. They are not out for confrontation with the public, nor to force through spurious penalty notices or look for spurious and random convictions. They are possibly amongst the most honest and fairest members of the community, in my opinion.

nah it was just into Scotland and no more.
these were actually the 1st not to be high and mighty about it. seem them pull out behind me from there little area catch up quickly and then back off for a min while they did the main checks.
lights came on so pulled over. one came got my license and was talking away no issues at all said it was routine as it was late at night and not many cars on the road. in their defence they ave been stopping alot of cars on the M74 between gretna and lockerbie as its the main road between scotland and england and alot of drugs have been seized in the last couple of years as people supply glasgow edinburgh from the south.
2nd copper just had a wander around the car checking the tyres - not kicking then but out with a torch. both thanked me (again a 1st) and told me just to get my speed up before rejoining the motorway. cheekily done so in 1st and second

OK, can't really complain about that then.

I haven't driven the M74 since 1990!!!! Oh heck I'm feeling old :-(

Let's hope that this sort of common sense policing continues to prevail.

I suppose the only other main ish route is the A1 along the Esat Coast, North of Berwick Upon Tweed.

yeah but the A1 isnt that great a road at the minute, has it really ever been. looked at going the A1 as thats the way i normally go but this time there was too many roadworks so went the M6 all the way down to the M1.

M74 isnt a bad road. better now that the cumberland gap ( scottish border to carlise ) has been upgraded to motorway to its 3 lanes all the way up to lesmahagow now. handy for us as it cuts around 5 -10 mins off the journey time to carlise

after my fiancee's birthday party a friend of ours took another friend home before coming back to help us clean up. When he got back he was grumbling he had been stopped by the police for having his head lights off which he insisted were on fine and then the police suggested he had only just turned them on and he was like no its 2am i've had them on the whole way else I could not of seen anything.

Anyway they let him go and he came back, told us fuming and we took stuff out to his car. I paused before saying "your back left light isnt working, the rest are". he sat there looking dumb founded for a minute just gaping. I walked up to hit and whacked the top of the boot, the light came on :) Then a police car drove past :)

I haven't been stopped in ages. I had a Mondeo the last time I got stopped and it was for No insurance. According to the police anyway. in my experience they are mostly arrogant. And this was no exception. They ended up phoning my insurance company up to check if I was actually insured. According to the police database I wasn't.

I got stopped for going through a red on a temporary traffic light set on a Sunday afternoon in 2004. I only went through because there was no need to stop as the other end of the 'works was clearly visible and clear of other road users. It had also been there for two weeks earlier so by that time I knew very well exactly what the lights were covering.

I did tell the officer at the time that disobeying temporary traffic lights is not actually an offence, further, I was quite happy that no danger was incurred because there were no other road users in evidence (and that there was no side road adjoinging the controlled section of road), except his car, following mine. He followed me through the red so we're both guilty of the same offence or, equally neither has commited an offence.

Turned out he was a CSO and phoned Aylesbury control to check the legal position. How embarrassing for him to find out that I was correct; that they [temp lights] weren't enforceable?

THat's why I'd like to see proper Police out and about in the community and on the roads.

Give the CSOs the admin work to do and let's, PLEASE, get proper police out doing the job that they are trained to do. And, which, they're nearly universally, very good at doing.

Community policing, regardless of where we live, is important. And it's not fair to expect volunteers to do it for no reward, even though they have the best of intentions at heart to make a difference.

Hmm nothing major,
I got stopped about three months ago on the way home from work early one morning to make sure I was the legal owner of the car.

Got me bum chewed by a Motorway copper for driving through a village at fifty mph at four in the morning in the works van. But let off because he was on his own.

I got followed into my local supermarket car park by a jam sandwich & told off for 'slightly' over enthusiastic over taking of a car that had just pulled out in front of me on a dual carriage way. But the Copper seemed more interested in the car than telling me off! :lol:

Got a finger wag from a passing motorway copper, when I joined an empty motorway at mach 1 early one morning.

I deserved everything I got! :embarrest:;)

On the plus side I seem to have a sixth sense when it comes to spotting unmarked cop cars on the motorway! :lol:

Once for speeding (48 in a 40). Which is fair enough, because I was. I admitted I was in the wrong, but he was a proper arrogant cnut about it. Standing well away from the car in the middle of the road! He was on his own and I was getting so angry I got out of the car and walked straight up to him and the puff started backing away. It was only when the misses shouted at me to stop that I stopped.

We also got stopped in a mates 206 for absolutely NO REASON other than them having nothing better to do. Standard "does the vehicle belong to you blah blah".

Most police officers in my experience and opinion are scum. If you're older it might be alright, but they talk down to youth, like they are better than you because someone decided to give them a badge. They think it's one rule for them and one rule for everybody else (pgarners situation for example). They don't even know the law they're meant to be enforcing as per HDi's temp lights example.

When they're on their own they won't do jack sh*t because they're all scared and hide behind their "authority". Have you ever noticed on all these programs how they all gang up on people? 8 officers to one person? Then when they're on their own, or outnumbered, they run away pmsl.

And those riots, cloberring completely innocent protesters, not wearing their numbers, balaclavas etc etc. The police force is a disgrace.

It's crap like you've experienced that gives the police service a bad name. This kind of stupidity should be dealt with swiftly and, in my opinion, quite harshly.

After all, the police are civil servants. Just like MPs. The are there to serve us, not to enslave us!!! And it's US that pays them to do it.

Once for speeding (48 in a 40). Which is fair enough, because I was. I admitted I was in the wrong, but he was a proper arrogant cnut about it. Standing well away from the car in the middle of the road! He was on his own and I was getting so angry I got out of the car and walked straight up to him and the puff started backing away. It was only when the misses shouted at me to stop that I stopped.

We also got stopped in a mates 206 for absolutely NO REASON other than them having nothing better to do. Standard "does the vehicle belong to you blah blah".

Most police officers in my experience and opinion are scum. If you're older it might be alright, but they talk down to youth, like they are better than you because someone decided to give them a badge. They think it's one rule for them and one rule for everybody else (pgarners situation for example). They don't even know the law they're meant to be enforcing as per HDi's temp lights example.

When they're on their own they won't do jack sh*t because they're all scared and hide behind their "authority". Have you ever noticed on all these programs how they all gang up on people? 8 officers to one person? Then when they're on their own, or outnumbered, they run away pmsl.

And those riots, cloberring completely innocent protesters, not wearing their numbers, balaclavas etc etc. The police force is a disgrace.

Mate I agree with everything in this post. I feel the same about the police and young people. I used to get harrassed all the time by the police and I also know that alot of them will lie to get a conviction. You might think i'm over the top saying that but believe me i've had first hand of them lying to get me convicted. And when that happens the average joe public doesn't stand a chance.

Referring to my previous post then that's another example that's been overlooked.

The Independent Police Complaints Comission is clearly not doing its job very well at all.

I'd like to think that a police officer who's lied in such a way is found guilty of perjury and sentenced.

I used to find them slightly more difficult when I was younger but I think things were fairer twenty odd years ago.

What's happened?

Referring to my previous post then that's another example that's been overlooked.

The Independent Police Complaints Comission is clearly not doing its job very well at all.

I'd like to think that a police officer who's lied in such a way is found guilty of perjury and sentenced.

I used to find them slightly more difficult when I was younger but I think things were fairer twenty odd years ago.

What's happened?

I got charged for going equipped for theft. Not being told what I was meant to be theiving? Late one night I got pulled dragged out the car and told I was being arrested because I had tools in the back. (they was actually for my off road bike). They impounded my father's car without even informing him, or asking him if I had permission to drive it. I got convicted on by the courts on the principle that I couldn't give a good enough reason for being out that late at night! The court dismissed All of the police evidence because they tried to exibit items that I had not been charged for. In the end I appealed and after two years got it chucked out of court. I got the car back and alsorts. Although it was just scrap because it had been in there so long. They even nicked the stereo.
I have no faith in the police whatsoever. And this is just one incident. I've had plenty more with them.

I got charged for going equipped for theft. Not being told what I was meant to be theiving? Late one night I got pulled dragged out the car and told I was being arrested because I had tools in the back. (they was actually for my off road bike). They impounded my father's car without even informing him, or asking him if I had permission to drive it. I got convicted on by the courts on the principle that I couldn't give a good enough reason for being out that late at night! The court dismissed All of the police evidence because they tried to exibit items that I had not been charged for. In the end I appealed and after two years got it chucked out of court. I got the car back and alsorts. Although it was just scrap because it had been in there so long. They even nicked the stereo.
I have no faith in the police whatsoever. And this is just one incident. I've had plenty more with them.

At least the courts saw things half sensibly at least. It's worrying that things have to go so far before you can sieze a chance to defend yourself.

So much for democracy, innocent until proven guilty etc.

Without treading on the political boundaries of Torque Cars I think that the current government has been too ready to deal with matters of state firstly and leave society well down the agenda.

Given the current issues with MPs and their outrageous abuse [misuse is perhaps a better word] of expenses and allowances we might just see a complete change to government in the UK. Do we need two houses of Parliament? No, probably not. Look at it all:

Lords; Commons; County Council; District Council; Parish Council - it's all a bit top heavy.

Tell you what should happen. If there's a general election then we should all decline to vote and that way the whole lot of 'em will have to stand down.

Believe me when I say in my case it's guilty until proven innocent according to the Police.

I know- that's exactly what you're post presented. Frankly that's a ridicuous state of affairs and if I were to be voted into government, even at a backbench level, it would be something I'd seek to have addressed very quickly indeed.

It's why I'm against extended detention of suspects whilst MI5 and the police attempt to assemble a consistent case that isn't easily defended or disputed.

It only takes a redefinition of the word terrorist and we're all knackered.

If you know you've done nothing wrong and your vehicle is roadworthy (they can tell a lot just by kicking the tyres, ya know!), all mandatory requirements insurance, tax, MoT (if required), you've got a license to drive the thing are in place etc. then don't be coerced into saying anything at all if you suspect they're after scoring brownie points.

In the UK, it is spelt licence :)

1 all, I think :)

I did tell the officer at the time that disobeying temporary traffic lights is not actually an offence, further, I was quite happy that no danger was incurred because there were no other road users in evidence (and that there was no side road adjoinging the controlled section of road), except his car, following mine. He followed me through the red so we're both guilty of the same offence or, equally neither has commited an offence.

Turned out he was a CSO and phoned Aylesbury control to check the legal position. How embarrassing for him to find out that I was correct; that they [temp lights] weren't enforceable?

I find this difficult to believe. If drivers don't have to obey them, then what is the point of them? If you drive through on red and hit someone, who is to blame? I will check this out tomorrow at work as temp traffic signals are a very important part of roadwork traffic management regulations.

Back in the seventies I was stopped so often in the Elan that as soon as I saw a police car behind me I would pull over. This seemed to confuse the officers until I explained my reason. Car was never checked, except for one time when a young officer, who obviously knew that Elan handbrakes only work at NOT time, decided to check mine.

He asked me to apply the handbrake so he could test it by pushing the car. Fortunately, I was able to switch off the brake lights (double pole switch on dash to either do this or flash brake lights) and apply the line lock. Got out of the car and managed to keep a straight face as he tried to move the car.

I find this difficult to believe. If drivers don't have to obey them, then what is the point of them? If you drive through on red and hit someone, who is to blame? I will check this out tomorrow at work as temp traffic signals are a very important part of roadwork traffic management regulations.

Temporary traffic lights are indeed important and usually beneficial.

Would you drive through a red if there was a risk of hitting anything? No

Nor would I do so.

But if there's no risk whatsoever, on temp lights, the positions of which I know accurately then, well, why not?

Go and check with your colleagues, I'm curious to know if the rules pertaining to temporary lights have changed.

No. Proposed permanent signal sites are subject to much more scrutiny before they're implemented. That's not to say that they're flawless; indeed they aren't.

What I am asking is why not be allowed to drive through permanent signals if we can see that it is perfectly safe to do so? The visibility at permanent sites if often better than that at temporary ones.

Stopped loads by the police for a variety of reasons but mostly the usual stop and check.
Best was when they pulled my two door saloon Nova for "acting suspiciously outside the bank" - the damn thing used to expire in the rain and it was the first place i could pull up, after 2 hours she got going again but someone reported me to the police and just after i got going they pulled me over - they had a bit of a laugh about it because it was pretty damn obvious you'd have to be braindead to try and pull a bank job in a 1.2l 15yr old complete banger.
However, other indicents not so friendly, often had the "in your face" experience, especially when younger, the officers asking impertinant questions and then starting to have a go when you give them the right answer.
pg - like you was once stopped in the early hours of the morning on the A9, they blocked the whole carriageway and were questioning each car as they were looking for burglars.

Just to redress the balance a little, you do get the odd copper with a sense of humour. I was driving down one side of Clapham Common at about 2 am at well over the 30 limit, probably 40-ish.

Next thing I know, I'm by the kerb with a traffpol car behind me, and an officer leaning in through my window, asking me where I'd come from, where I was going etc. I think he sensed that it wasn't worth breathalysing me since I hadn't been drinking, just sh*****g, against which there's no law (as yet!).

I explained that I'd been in Bromley and was driving to Isleworth, having spent the evening with a girlfriend.

"Well", he said, "you wanna slow down - there's a lot of mad buggers around at this time of night", and drove off.

I think it was at this point that I resolved to find girlfriends nearer home!

Just to redress the balance a little, you do get the odd copper with a sense of humour. I was driving down one side of Clapham Common at about 2 am at well over the 30 limit, probably 40-ish.

Next thing I know, I'm by the kerb with a traffpol car behind me, and an officer leaning in through my window, asking me where I'd come from, where I was going etc. I think he sensed that it wasn't worth breathalysing me since I hadn't been drinking, just sh*****g, against which there's no law (as yet!).

I explained that I'd been in Bromley and was driving to Isleworth, having spent the evening with a girlfriend.

"Well", he said, "you wanna slow down - there's a lot of mad buggers around at this time of night", and drove off.

I think it was at this point that I resolved to find girlfriends nearer home!

From my personal experiences I've had no particular issues, but it seems that a lot of people have had much worse experiences. My earlier posts cover this.

What I am asking is why not be allowed to drive through permanent signals if we can see that it is perfectly safe to do so? The visibility at permanent sites if often better than that at temporary ones.

Rather than often better etc. let's confirm I'm speaking of one isolated situation where visibility was absolutely 100% rather than generalising.