How far for cheap fuel

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How far do you have to drive before you find reasonably priced fuel?

For me I have a 30 minute drive to Canterbury! A local garage drop the price by 2p a litre twice a week and if you get a voucher from the local park you get another 3p off! It's a bit of a hassle but it is worth it.

Driving further to get it cheaper doesn't make sense to me. 2p a litre for 50 litres = £1 - Just not worth the hassle, time and wasted fuel.

My wife constantly checks on line for the cheapest fuel in our area but it usually works out not to be worth doing the extra miles.

20 mins to the town. used to be only a penny dearer to buy vpower there than the 95 coops supermarket stuff in lockerbie. although they have droped their prices recently following 4 cars needing attention within a few miles of filling up - although they couldnt prove it was due to the fuel.- they are still around 4p dearer for diesel than shell in dumfries simply because there is no compition for them and tescos keep getting their planning permission knocked back

You can't get there, even with a Range Rover fitted with a snorkel.

Besides, their petrol won't work in our cars as their gallon is smaller so they don't fit our fuel tanks.

Last edited:
You can't get there, even with a Rnage Rover fitted with a snorkel.

Besides, their petrol won't work in our cars as their gallon is smaller so they don't fit our fuel tanks.

I think I should just correct the obvious error here in your statement.....

....Range Rover not Rnage Rover. Other than that everything you say makes perfect sense and seems completely reasonable to me! ;)

Fuel costs have never been an issue to me, but the right choice of fuel is.
I do have to travel out of my way to get to a Shell garage for the Optimax, I travel there against the traffic, and I come back with the traffic :sad2:
Still, it's worth the extra travelling time to me though.

I think I should just correct the obvious error here in your statement.....

....Range Rover not Rnage Rover. Other than that everything you say makes perfect sense and seems completely reasonable to me! ;)

That was the dyslexic model :)

Or, to paraphrase Eric, I was typing all the right letters, but not necessarily in the right order (only UK residents of a certain age will understand this).

Or, to paraphrase Eric, I was typing all the right letters, but not necessarily in the right order (only UK residents of a certain age will understand this).

Understood, and I have most of their comedy acts on DVD including two movies ;)

I don't. I used to. But now, 1p/2p/3p a leter diff. Makes no odds. Its an extra 50p/£1/£1.50 a fill up diff. That used to be quite a lot when the fuel price was 75p. @ 75p, 3p was a 4% increase. Now at £1.40 3p is 2.1% incrase. Coudn't care less.

Once the tank starts to cost less than £70 to fill it, then I'll start caring.

Same here, no longer bothered. I draw the line at Motorway prices though and ensure I have plenty enough to avoid their extortionate prices.

I don't. I used to. But now, 1p/2p/3p a leter diff. Makes no odds. Its an extra 50p/£1/£1.50 a fill up diff. That used to be quite a lot when the fuel price was 75p. @ 75p, 3p was a 4% increase. Now at £1.40 3p is 2.1% incrase. Coudn't care less.

Once the tank starts to cost less than £70 to fill it, then I'll start caring.

That makes perfect sense to me I use super unleaded anyway so used to paying a bit more.
I also try not to use too much supermarket fuel.