Hitting a queue in traffic - Warn or Not

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When you suddenly hit a queue on the motorways and have to rapidly break do you give a warning to those behind you?

I've seen drivers flash their brake lights when stationary, which makes more sense that just sitting there with no brake lights on.

Others use the hazard lights to warn those behind.

I leave a large gap in front of me and close this up when I have a few cars behind me. I've heard too many stories of drivers going into the back of queues.

yeah i normally use hazard lights as a warning in these situations, i find it makes people pay more attention than just flashing brake lights. i also leave a fair distance between me and car infront just incase.

If I'm coming around a bend on a 'fast road' and there's a queue of traffic I try and position the car in a way that makes me visible to those behind and use hazards - there must be some worse drivers than me out there (and many which are much better)!

I know a lot of modern cars automatically flash the hazards lights if you bang on the anchors a bit hard - the duration of the flashes can rely on your heavy footedness.

I also consider if the car behind me saw me braking- motorists tend to react faster to hazard lights than brake lights.

Last edited:
Mine applies hazard lights automatically if you invoke the brake assist by lifting throttle suddenly and then swiftly applying brake pedal. (Note: only one 'z' in hazard).

I'll use the hazard flashers when the road is clear enough and when on a blind spot I'll stand on the brake pedal so the drivers behind can see I am stopped or stopping (as well as the handbrake!). I too leave a big gap incase I get collected.

In my old car I had a little device I found in Germany fitted, it was connected to the high level brake light. When braking normally the light worked as normal. When braking fairly hard the high level light would flash slow-ish. When you stood on the brakes & threw the anchor out the window the light would flash quickly, I think it worked very well. Incidently I only bought this because I had a little Smart which I took on the motor way alot & the device helped feel a little less vulnerable! :amuse:

Normally when on the Motorway now, I put the Hazards on & leave a good gap too which is normally filled by some twonk with ants in his pants, swapping lanes. In town, If I'm queuing & I see someone approaching a bit quick I may put my foot on the brake peddle just once.

That device for the HL brake light is a bloody superb idea. It might help the drivers who never look ahead of the car in front, nor around it and are too close anyway.

It's one of those things I'd consider buying and fitting even though it's possibly not totally lawful to use. It's quite possible that the law has not been tested. Given that HL brake lamps are not mandatory anyway so why should it matter if they flash?

1 Q: How does it know, if it's only connected electrically to the HL brake light, how much force you're applying to the brake pedal?

Last edited:
I just use my brake lights... If someone behind me can't see 3 red lights illuminate i'm afraid thats there problem. If on the motorway however and I see that we are coming to a stop I will flash the Hazards a couple of times but mainly I just use the brake lights.... Always leave a gap infront of me anyway just in case the car infront breaks down... Then I can just pop round him instead of struggling trying to reverse about 5 cars behind up....

Last edited:
Brake lights aren't break lights... come on, let's get grammar in order. If we're repesenting a forum frequented by self appointed experts we really do need to project our respective selves professionally.

1 Q: How does it know, if it's only connected electrically to the HL brake light, how much force you're applying to the brake pedal?

The box is about 2 inches square & connects in line with the high level light (ideally fitted in the same area). It works by sensing the level of the car, the lower the nose of the car the more it flashes. I'm not sure about going down steep hills I assume it just flashed like mad!

When I fitted it I wasn't sure about the legality either, I decided that if the Police pulled me for it I'd just remove it. But I never had any trouble with the fuzz.

It's also TUV approved. I'll see If I can find the web site later, there's a good video clip of it working in fog. :)

Last edited:
Interesting. Although the other brake lights are obviously active, i'd like to see how it would stand up in court if the muppet behind rear ended you and claimed it was a distraction, i'll bet there's a lawyer out there ready to rip you apart in court for it being a distraction.
If there's any evidence of this being fully approved then it may be a half decent idea.
Until then i'll stick with brake lights and the hazards if needed, that's what they are for, to warn of a potential hazard.

Interesting. Although the other brake lights are obviously active, i'd like to see how it would stand up in court if the muppet behind rear ended you and claimed it was a distraction, i'll bet there's a lawyer out there ready to rip you apart in court for it being a distraction.
If there's any evidence of this being fully approved then it may be a half decent idea.
Until then i'll stick with brake lights and the hazards if needed, that's what they are for, to warn of a potential hazard.

The problem is that there is no statutory law at this point so the lawyer would have to present a very convincing case.

I'd take a risk on this one personally and conduct my own defence.

After all, you have been hit from behind in your hypothetical case so the case will be very heavily on your side to start with.

Court hearings are not the place to pull surprises so the prosecution woudl have to declare intent to use the flashing brake lamp as a distraction. And if it is so distracting why did the lawyer's client not drop back from the car in front much sooner?

I understand your view but i have often seen cars with defective lights that flicker on and off. Yes, people should be paying attention and they are in the wrong for rear ending another car, i just wouldn't want to chance it or cause any confusion to anyone else on the road that i consider a complete hazard from the moment they get out of bed.
One thing about the different flash levels, unless the person behind can distinguish between the three different pulses [which means they either have the same system or have visited a forum such as this], it won't mean a damned thing to them.