hi everyone

marshall

Car
astra 1.8 sri 03
hey how is everybody, well I've just brought a Astra 1.8 sri 03 plate and I want to spend the next few months wages tuning it but i know nothing about it to be fair so thats why im here lookin for advice and help!

At the minute im looking to improve the exhaust system from the manifold, its an ecotech engine and on my engine the manifold and cat converter are one so I was wondering if it is possible to buy seperate for this car and what make/system is best to go for for this car that will improve performance and sound? I Have about a thousand pounds to spend on this part of the car, any help really appreciated.

So far planned only a K&N injection system with cold air feed for the engine so want other ideas would help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TorqueCars. :bigsmile:

Local to me I see. Plenty of tuners out there offering whatever you need. Be wise to get a copy of Total Vauxhall for the latest on suppliers etc. It's been a few years since I last tuned a Vauxhall.

Hello and welcome, nice to meet you. Check that your engine is in peak condition before tuning it. Give it a full service and see if it's putting out the power it should on a rolling road.

Don't dismiss brake upgrades and handling modifications.

The best mods for a car engine are as follows.
Internal work yields the biggest gains, head work like porting polishing and 3 angle valve jobs will maximise the airflow and raise the power.

If you want to go to the max then cryo treat the block, get it rebored and look into blueprinting and balancing as well.

Bigger valves are an obvious addon but not all engines are suitable as it depends how close together the OEM valves are.

A fast road cam will yield good power gains, especially in the top end of the rev range. Don't go mad though a profile of up to 270 degrees will give the best gains without the engine becoming cammy.

The most popular power mods are induction kits (which are questionable as power mods but they can sound nice if that is your sort of thing) and sports exhausts with sports catalysts or decats.

To keep the car legal I'd recommend a sports catalyst rather than a decat.
The last mod should always be a remap as this will allow you to fully realise the power gains on offer from your mods.

It's worth having a read of the articles on www.torquecars.com/tuning/ for more information on these mods and what the terms mean.

thanks for the replys guys just thought i would let you know how im planning on tuning the car and in what order im gonna spend each months wages so i can get the best advice...

1) k&n induction kit with cold air feed, new sports disk brakes and pads/calipers plus full service.
2) Change the whole exhaust system from the manifold back? need advice on that as written above?
3) New adjustable suspension, alloy refurb, anti roll bar?
4) In car sound system

5) Engine
Then it comes to the more technical side of the tuning. Not sure if i should change the engine completely for a 2 litre turbo (then tune the new engine) or spend the money on the engine i already have - 1.8 sri 03 eco tech with 86,000 miles on the clock, and what specifically i could do to that engine. I would have no idea about porting or boring
or cams so im guessing their are companys out there that will do that?

6) Body kit, mirrors
7) Re-spray
8) New front window screen and engine mapping

so any way thats my planned order of tuning leaving the body and appearance till last, looking forward to some advice guys

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back