Hi Everyone, Help urgently needed

jimrick52

Car
Brava sx80 1.2 16v
Hi, my Name is Jim and I have a problem.
My wife and I recently purchased a used Fiat Brava sx80 1.2 16v,and have had nothing but trouble. After driving for a few miles we experience a total loss of power (engine still ticks over) revs show as normal, but nothing on the throttle???. Took the car back to the garage and was told I was using the wrong fuel, they said the octane rating was too low for the engine. tried using the more expensive fuel,and even added a injector cleaner,and went for a (recommended 20 mile drive for the cleaner to take effect) but the car broke down every couple of hundred yards or so. Took us an hour and a half to complete the distance,and the engine sounded awful. This is very worrying as my wife is the main user. Has anyone had similar problems? and if so how did you cure it. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

hey and welcome to the site mate
sorry your having so much problems with thecar
regarding the low octane fuel doubt it was that at all, unless you were trying to run on american stuff. just out of interest it wasnt supermarket fuel you were using ?

sounds like it could be a gearbox, clutch issue if its revving but not doing anything
Master Auron likes his fiats so might know of a common issue with them

FIAT - Fix It Again Today

Sounds like you have a bad one here mate. I would go back to the garage and request your money back. Even if you got a good price on her, she will cost you in the long run. Take her back to the garage and mention the words Trading standards, Solicitor and Watchdog. Ask for a full refund and the cost of any parts you have spent so far. Settle on getting your money back for the motor but nothing less. You will get it back. I love a good argument like that, but if your not the type to argue with someone then spend the money and get a your solicitor to type up a letter and get one sent.

Sorry to hear about your story mate.

FIAT - Fix It Again Today

Sounds like you have a bad one here mate. I would go back to the garage and request your money back. Even if you got a good price on her, she will cost you in the long run. Take her back to the garage and mention the words Trading standards, Solicitor and Watchdog. Ask for a full refund and the cost of any parts you have spent so far. Settle on getting your money back for the motor but nothing less. You will get it back. I love a good argument like that, but if your not the type to argue with someone then spend the money and get a your solicitor to type up a letter and get one sent.

Sorry to hear about your story mate.
<br><br>Thanks for the advice....Sorry for the delay in replying. The mechanic from the garage where we bought the car took it for a test drive and saw the problem for himself. He noticed a hissing sound coming from the fuel tank and said air was getting in, he took the cover off the internal pump and found two pieces of plastic blocking the fuel line, he removed them and said all will be ok. We took the car home only to have it break down again on the way back. We went back to the garage today and they fitted new plugs and leads (at our expense) and said to try that....Still no cure. We asked him for our money back for the car £675.00 plus we traded our old Astra too. Was told they would only give us £400.00 back as we had used the car for four weeks. Have already sent a letter to them regarding trading standards etc which has got us to this point.not sure what else to do now.<br>

hey and welcome to the site mate
sorry your having so much problems with thecar
regarding the low octane fuel doubt it was that at all, unless you were trying to run on american stuff. just out of interest it wasnt supermarket fuel you were using ?

sounds like it could be a gearbox, clutch issue if its revving but not doing anything
Master Auron likes his fiats so might know of a common issue with

them

Hi sorry for the delay in replying...Petrol was bought from a shell garage and from an Asda forecourt, plus we put an additive into the fuel to clean the injectors. just got new plugs and leads fitted but the problem is still there.Don't think it's the clutch as the car pulls ok on short trips, the engine power just drops off. If you turn the ignition off and back on again the car drives ok for a couple of hundred yards, then the problem comes back. The garage mechanic seems to think that a power pack on the ignition is breaking down, he reckons it will cost around £20 to replace, but we would have to pay, though we won't be charged for labour, another mechanic we spoke to reckons the pack will cost around £70 to buy:sad2:

Hi sorry for the delay in replying...Petrol was bought from a shell garage and from an Asda forecourt, plus we put an additive into the fuel to clean the injectors. just got new plugs and leads fitted but the problem is still there.Don't think it's the clutch as the car pulls ok on short trips, the engine power just drops off. If you turn the ignition off and back on again the car drives ok for a couple of hundred yards, then the problem comes back. The garage mechanic seems to think that a power pack on the ignition is breaking down, he reckons it will cost around £20 to replace, but we would have to pay, though we won't be charged for labour, another mechanic we spoke to reckons the pack will cost around £70 to buy:sad2:

Get another car, fixing that car again and again will be expensive and annoying. How much did you pay for the car? In the future, do more extensive research on the car you are intending to buy. Just trying to help out, man.

Last edited:
The car you bought was not the car you wanted. You didn't want a car that would break down every 3 miles. When buying from a dealer, they should check every car to make sure it is ok, so when they sell it, they will get a good reputation. I cant see how they can only give you £400 back. That's a joke. If they say its because you have had it four weeks, explain that you have been trying to get the car to work for the whole four weeks and it just doesn't work. It seems that you have gotten ripped off here. You can do one of two things (well 3 if you really want) Sell the car back to the garage and cut your losses, or try the legal system. Might cost in the long run. Make sure you mention it to trading standards, the press, watchdog, everyone. Try and get the shabby louts shut down.

The third option would be one that I would take. Sell the car back to the garage, leave it a day or two until your money clears and then torch it!!!!!

It sounds more like the ecu has had its day or its got damp.Trading standards are a joke my next door neighbour brought a people carrier from garage after a week oil pump went destroyed the engine trading standards got involved 3 years later still nothing done then someone happend to torch it probably garage where it came from and now trading standards dont want to know how typical. Just take the £400 it will cost you more.

this may sound stupid but i'm a mechanic but try it ..

remove the petrol filler cap and try it i've had customers with a similar problem and its because the tank can't suck air in to replace the used fuel and fairly common on bikes

this may sound stupid but i'm a mechanic but try it ..

remove the petrol filler cap and try it i've had customers with a similar problem and its because the tank can't suck air in to replace the used fuel and fairly common on bikes

We had a batch rail profile grinders that were cutting out for that reason, turns out the wrong petrol caps were supplied.

Thanks everyone for your advice,sold the car back to the garage for £450.00 with the problem still not solved,guy said he would have the car sold by that evening,I don't doubt it I think he is running a scam. The owner before me had the car for four weeks I had it for five in total and lost about £300.00 into the bargain,seems to me that he is using the car to make money and will never have any intention of repairing it. Anyway....got a Rover 400 1.9TD and am very happy with it, more importantly my wife is a lot more relaxed knowing she won't get stranded anywhere.....Thanks again to you all....Jim

It's a shame you've lost that money, have you reported the garage to trading standards? I'm sure they'd love to pay him a visit. :blink1:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back