Hey s'up

Car
2000 Dodge Durango
Hey, my nameis Christophe Johnson. I drive a 2000 Dodge Durango that has a currently stock 5.9V8 that whas rated at 245 bhp and 300 something ft-lbs of torque. Though now it has 200,000 miles on it so I don't think it will be as good as it should be. I know the engine is rediculously huge but i inherited the car from my parents and my dad chose it for the color, haha. At first I just wanted to have a rebuild done that would replace a lot of the parts with performance parts. Then one day I saw a video on the internet of a tuning company in Canada that fit the engine from an Aston Martin Vanquish into a 2005 Ford Mustang. This is mainly why I joined this forum. I thought it would be so cool to do the same to my Durango. I just wanted to get some opinions as to how rediculous, time consuming, costly, and feasible it would be. How might I actually go about doing it if I ever had the chance? Thing is I really love my Durango, no matter how sluggish, rolly in the corners, uneconomical, or massive it is. Shes my baby and will be for a very very long time

A vanquish engine would cost a fortune. Id go with a full low compression rebuild with a supercharger or turbo. It should be good for 700+BHP if you ask me.

Nice to meet you. Where are you from?

Yeah, a simple rebuild would totally be the way to go. The key factor that would be missing is that V12 melody. haha :D

I'm from Alaska. I like it up here but if someone asked me where I see myself 15 years from now I would say working as a design engineer probably at Aston Martin.

Hello there. Nice to see you have a definate plan for the car. What power gain are you heading for?

Yeah... at this point anything is just pure speculation since I am a broke college student with all my money going to tuition. But in the future I would like to see the power somewhere in the high 400's to low 500's.

Thats a good aim and should be fairly easy to achieve. Welcome to the site its good to have you along.

You're probably our first member in Alaska. What is the car tuning scene like out there?

Haha, pretty different I'd say. First main difference is that its not so much cars as pick-up trucks and SUV's. People usually start with lift kits, which make the truck anywhere from 2"-12" taller.

Some pick-ups I have seen reroute the exhaust pipe to come up through the bed, right behind the cab, like on big freight trucks. When choosing tires, most try to get the widest, knobliest, and tallest wall possible.

Basically, instead of taking a car and making it handle better on the road, they try to make it go anywhere except the road. Thats not very much to my liking though.

My car is and SUV, but Appearance wise, I would not change it. I like the height that its at, and the body it has from the factory. I just want some power from it.

It does after all have an enormous, lazy, underpowered typical American V8. It's a 5.9L, thats Ferrari, Aston, and AMG Mercedes teritory. Yet it only had 245bhp when it was, new. Who knows what it has now with all those 200,000 miles on it. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The V8s hold their power nicely as they get older. It does sound like time to give it a major overhaul though.

The scene sounds crazy.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back