Hey guys from a hypermiler noobie

A

assassix

Just used the MPG calc as i thought i had my sums wrong, (which i didn't) and thought i'd join up. So hi!

I started to calm my driving down a few weeks back as in slowing down at lights and erm well thats pretty much it. (I Drive a Toyota Aygo Black and it is like a big go-kart so the temptation is overwhelming)

Obviously the Aygo is meant to be superb anyway at MPG but i was generally getting around 45MPG at an average cost of 8/9p per mile. Nowhere near the advertised 60MPG. Looking around for cheaper life insurance on moneysavingexpert i came across a hypermiling website which is much like your advice on increasing MPG, although these americans (where it is massive) even go so far as to take out seats they arn't using. All I have done is the following:
1. Tried to keep the car moving at all times (0mph = 0mpg)
2. Eased off and took my foot completely off the accelerator instead of using the brakes.
3. Letting gravity take me down hills
4. Only using the accelerator when the car is already in motion from standing
5. Parked so i wouldn't have to do any multi point maneuvers when the engine is cold.
6. Kept the windows closed more.
7. Made sure my tire pressure is correct
8. Tried to stay around 65 mph max

Thats it, and the results? The Aygos fuel display is made up of 6 digital cells.
Before doing this i would get 110 out of the first 60 out of the second and 50 out of the third.
Now!!! i got 144 from the first 86 from the second and 70 out of the third (i had to fill up before i lost it though, so could be more) giving me a total of 68MPG at a cost of 7p per mile. (fuel cost 117pl)
Awsome, and i am still not doing this 100% of the time, and could still do other techniques. The only thing you have to control is your desire to speed off after the overtakers while doing 65-68 on the motorways.

anyway hope this helps anyone get a little bit more MPG from their car. I am amazed and didn't think it would make so much of a diffference. Anyother tips? please let me know.

Thank you guys

Jamie

Alright mate, welcome to the TorqueCars forum! Personally I don't drive with economy in mind...until I have a 1/4 of a tank left! :lol:

Hi and welcome to TorqueCars. You've made some impressive fuel savings there. Not much to add other than the tips on our MPG calculators page.

Tyre pressures can make a big difference so I check them weekly now.

The car does 45 easy, mine does nearly *exactly* 45 when i go to college and back during rush hour.
(Ive got the Aygo Blue) And i drive it like... well... i drive it like the 18 year old i am...
But on a long run down to uni and back home, (A1/A1M all the way), and about 300 miles, i did over 70mpg, so the specs dont lie...

The car does 45 easy, mine does nearly *exactly* 45 when i go to college and back during rush hour.
(Ive got the Aygo Blue) And i drive it like... well... i drive it like the 18 year old i am...
But on a long run down to uni and back home, (A1/A1M all the way), and about 300 miles, i did over 70mpg, so the specs dont lie...

70 MPG :amazed: you must drive like Miss Daisy! :lol: That's very impressive :)

Howdo!

Hypermiling? Meh, buy a diesel. I get more than 45mpg from my remapped Bora and I dont have to drive like Ms Daisy to get it.

Even 45 MPG for me would be like trying to get a straight answer from a politician Yugguy :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back