Hey all

Chippy657

Torque Junkie
Car
Peugeot 206 LX
Just thought i would introduce myself and tell you a few things about me:

Im 17 so i hate all insurance companies!!!
I have lots of friends who like moding thier cars to sound and look like haridryers
I am a big fan of ICE
I am quite good with my hands ;)
I didnt think i would be intersted in cars till i got one and started tinkering!
I dont have lots of money because insurance companies think i will crash in the first week and i have to pay them lots of money because of this
I love my baby too much to drive like an idiot and crash!!!

Wow i have been on this forum for under 5 minutes and already im ranting sorry!!! :toung:

hey and welcome mate,

yup weve all been there
i was the same didnt start driving until i was 18 even then i doubt i would have started if the girlfriend hadnt let me drive hers, hooked ever since.
Modding is a personal choise glad you choose the sutle route rather than the loud and lairy route - love leaving them standing although im getting board of it now not too hard to leave 1.2 behind.

simple things can lower your insurance, for instance lower your milage by a couple of thousand a year, if its in your name add your mother (or another female relative) as an additional driver. and watch it fall slightly, more expensive at the time but pay it off in a oner save on the interst rates ( most charge around 15-20%. on a grand this is around £150-200 a year more)

Cheers for the warm welcome.
And for the insurance tips will try them out soon and hopefully make a difference, i hate the fact female drivers get it cheaper, although i do understand why with the boy racer label being flung at all male first time drivers!!

it gets better mate honestly.

the wifes got 2 years driving on me and im only paying £170 more a year than her.
1.6 golf (105bhp) against my 1.8t bora (180) and im on buisness class insurance as well

hell yeah get a couple of years no claims under your belt and your laughing, youll also see a drop at 21 then 25.

1 years NCB is 25% discount on most policys.

how long ago did you pass your test? under a year ago get yourself on a past plus course as this can save a bit.

when i first insured my civic, 1.4 90bhp version, it cost me £1400 with me and my mum on it.

now married, homeowner and with 3 years NCB (should have been 4 but had major issues trying to insure the bora when i 1st got it, only had a month to go and the current insurer wouldnt touch me because of this i lost 1 year )
buisness class 1 for me social demestoc and commuting for the wife , 8k a year milage, FLT driver (skilled trade ;) ) and £40 excess group 17 car, iirc, £460 a year, due for renewal in june so been searching around found policys for around £350-400.

another tip for you if youve got money saved, increase your excess just remember youve proberly got a compusary excess on your poicy for being under 25

Not passed my test only had a couple of lessons but want to get the car insured so i can take it out with my mum and she can then give it a blast on the motorway because it needs driving properly.

I have 2 years no claims in may due to the fact i have had a moped insured for two years and am possibly the only kid to have not crashed it or fallen off! Doubt that counts for 25% though.

You have given me sound advice so far so any tips for insurance brokers to try?

yup try places like insurethemarket and compared.
BUT heres the important bit make yourself a day younger, get the reverance number and quote and phone the company up and give them the exact same details with your real birth. if its less fine if not give them the ref number and quote and ask how they can do it for this price. best ive saved is £400 by doing this - renewal was £780 for my prelude i got a quote off the same company for £350 exact same details and he couldnt explain it. gave me it for the lower price.

try bell as they were good for me during the 1st few years, then again when i bought the bora

dont know if the moped NCB will be transferable but its worth a try might save you a bit

if youve not passed your test then as soon as you do get on the passed plus

My moped ncb does transfer i got a quote for a 1.4 corsa at £1400 and wihtout the ncb it was £1700, so hopefully with a smaller engine and slightly older car i can get insurance for under £1000, if i can i think i might have achieved a miracle!!!

my mate said about flexibell not sure if its the same broker as yours though. The one day younger thing is quite confusing i dont see what you would gain? care to explain?

OK insurance brokers are there to make money, same as any company. so if you go through them they premiums are slightly higher to cover there costs. if you go through the company themselves it can work out cheaper.
however if they already have your details name address and DOB then they will just bring up the same quote, so make yourself a day younger on the comparrison website ( younger drivers are abigger risk) then when you get the prices check the company themselves hopefully you should get it cheaper as theres no broker to be paid.

yeah after i finished with bell they brought in the flexibell part.
its the same company but allows you to say if you dont want stuff thats normally included - legal costs, third party driving ( your not covered anyway as under 25, you wil find this hidden away in the very smal print, i was very lucky ) etc so you can save some money depending on how lucky you feel

£1400 not bad for a 17yo i was paying that at 19 for the civic, was £900 on site but had induction kit, sports cat, ecotec valve ( NEVER BOTHER WITH THIS ) and alloys on

lol dont worry when it somes to engines i just look at them and think OMG look at all that metal that does stuff and gets hot!!!

i understand where you are coming from with the one day older thing makes sense now you put it like that cheers

might give flexibell a try see what happens otherwise im going with direct line

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back