hello everyone

Welcome to happyland :)

As for induction kits I really don't have a definitive answer but you could rely on the K&N being as good as any since that's their main product line.

What are you trying to achieve with the fitment of one? (top end power, mid range grunt or do you just fancy the sound?)

All depends on the car mate.

K & N have had a lot of bad things said about them as alot of theyre filters have been over oiled leading to damage to the MAF.

I did have a universal K&N flilter on my civic, attached to the main intake in place of the airbox in other words just the filter and not the full kit, and i made next to no difference.

BMC have a lot of good things said about them, also theyre kit comes witht he fully enclosed heatshield to keep intake temps lower.

first of all, welcome mate

now, your bmw has a big air box as standard, so an ordinary induction kit is no good to you
i had the same problem with my prelude,
so what i done is, just bought the filter, the biggest 1 they had,
attached it to the origanal intake pipe, and fittet 2 breathers

now my vtec is louder and has a slightley better pull
next now is my exhaust, something like this 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTkZ40Ycdzw

its supposted to be a fake but you can get them

Hi and welcome to the site. Nice to have you along. Am I right in saying that the BMC comes in an enclosed tube? If so I would plump for the BMC on your car. I agree with HDi that the straight six should deliver power without all of the noise. It is however a matter of personal taste.

In general induction kits just make noise, if you want power then I recommend a panel air filter made from foam or cotton gauze. Exhausts have an optimum flow characteristic so if you stick with a 2.5 inch bore you should be ok. Again the rear silence is up to you. One of our members recently fitted a cherry bomb tail pipe and he loves it.

can someone explain to me what a cherry bomb exhaust actually does. i have heard that it acts like a turbo charger but is used more because it is cheaper? im not sure about this can someone elborate please?

Cherry Bomb is just a brand name for a straight through exhaust silencer. Original cherry bombs came from the States in the late 60's. Custom Chrome Racing registered the name over here (UK) & started producing their own. A straight through silencer does exactly what it's name implies, gases travel 'straight through' with little pressure drop, as a result their not great at reducing noise, hence the name :amuse:. A conventional silencer relies on baffles &/or chambers to reduce sound at the expense of a little power.
I'm stumped on the turbo connection though, a free flowing after market exhaust system will provide an increase in bhp & torque. It will also be cheaper, quicker & less complicated than fitting a turbo.
Is it remote fitted turbo's your thinking about possibly?

As for air filters, personally I'd go for the BMC CDA, whatever one you choose make sure it's matches the power/capacity of your engine.

Oh &
029.gif
btw!

Last edited:
welcome.
now your other post makes sense.

cheery bomb makes alot of noise - might add 1-2bhp if your extemely lucky
turbo, uses the exhaust gas to run a comprssor which forces the air into the engnie - power increase depends on turbo, fueling, pipe flows etc

only thing that that it uses in the same was as a turbo is the gasses pass through them