Hello all

Overwrite

Car
A3 1.8T Quattro Spt
A quick hello to all.

I'd love to tell you that I've been tinkering with cars all my life (even though I was a mechanic in the army for a while) but the real reason I've started getting into modding is because I've been playing Juiced 2 HIN quite a bit on the Xbox360 recently and it got me thinking ;)

I've been driving an Audi A3 1.8T Quattro Sport for about 18 months now and I've just ordered an Ecotek CB-26P. I'm also looking into buying a [SIZE=-1]Hyperboost HXC. Once they're fitted, I'll see what the performance is like and decide whether or not to do some more. To be honest, the A3 Quattro is a nippy little character as it is.

Been looking at S3s today and they started the juices flowing, so I might sleep with my head under the pillow tonight and see if the tooth fairy stumps up some cash to help me buy one!

Anyway, look forward to chatting to you all soon.

Overwrite
[/SIZE]

welcome to the site

have you looked at the tuning article on the vag enginehttp://www.torquecars.com/volkswagen/vag-1-8-turbo.php

you should do well here then the boss owns a a3 1.8T ;)

ohh noo you bought an ecotek valve :evil:
heres a tip dont fit it and just rattle it on ebay as other than the noise when you lift off theres no difference to performance or economy. i had it fitted to my 1.1 fiesta and after a couple of months of ownership it went on the civic. other than the noise on lift off, which i liked, it useless as modern engines switch off the fuel supply when you lift off to save fuel, you should notice it on your display the instantaneous reading should just be lines or reading around 190mpg.

let me now how the hyper boost works ive been looking at one for mine but stuck between it and the forge diverter valve.

why look at buying an s3 the a3 already has the quattro have a skeck on ebay and scrappys for a K04 turbo found on Audi S3, S4 (2.7) TT (225) seat cupra R's. ive been told its a direct fit in place of the K03 (which is on most other 1.8t vag engines 150 ) and K03s (180 bhp engines,5mm difference to the compressor i think. its the compressor or exhaust turbine)
also look for the inlet manifold and injectors, plus a decent remap that will take in the parts and you should be looking at nearly the 225 bhp. i was told that i should get around 240 from the 180 engine (theres a bigger port on the valves as well as the upgrade to the K03s turbo and more boost )

the K04 shouldnt be a problem as the tt, s4 etc owners are upgrading to Garrett turbos so can be picked up for £400 seen one go for £290 just wished id had the money at the time

have a look at JSB auto designs

from the 180 engine thyve got a octavia vrs running 602 bhp and 506 ftlb
downside for 450 bhp your looking at around £11k but you get a lot for this

• turbo
  • manifolds
  • exhaust
  • clutch
  • rebore to 1.9
  • conrods
  • piston heads
  • valves
  • injectors
  • intercooler
  • labour
  • custom code remap
  • and a lot more
smaller work is also available

also have a look in our discounts section of the forum for celtic tuning they told me i could see 225bhp from the 180 engine without anything other than the remap

and they should also give you 10% discount for mentioning torquecars

anything else just ask somebody bount to know

Last edited:
Hi Overwrite, really nice to have a fellow A3 1.8T along. Pgarners covered most of the points you raised. Unlike the game, real tuning is expensive but also much more fun ;). You already have a fine base to work from and the A3 Quattro is excellent in the wet, the 4 wheel drive will help you to leave most things standing...

Thanks for the welcome guys.

welcome to the site

have you looked at the tuning article on the vag enginehttp://www.torquecars.com/volkswagen/vag-1-8-turbo.php

you should do well here then the boss owns a a3 1.8T

ohh noo you bought an ecotek valve :evil:
heres a tip dont fit it and just rattle it on ebay as other than the noise when you lift off theres no difference to performance or economy. i had it fitted to my 1.1 fiesta and after a couple of months of ownership it went on the civic. other than the noise on lift off, which i liked, it useless as modern engines switch off the fuel supply when you lift off to save fuel, you should notice it on your display the instantaneous reading should just be lines or reading around 190mpg.

let me now how the hyper boost works ive been looking at one for mine but stuck between it and the forge diverter valve.

Thanks - it was the link above that got me onto the forum :)

Sad to hear about the Ecotek, I've read some good reviews on the valve. I bought it direct from Ecotek and its bundled with the PowerBoost spray and the synthetic lube. I was hoping that a combination of the 3 might increase the mpg and the noise on lift off would be a little bonus ;) I'll let you know how it pans out. I will have a read up on the Forge Diverter v/v.

why look at buying an s3 the a3 already has the quattro have a skeck on ebay and scrappys for a K04 turbo found on Audi S3, S4 (2.7) TT (225) seat cupra R's. ive been told its a direct fit in place of the K03 (which is on most other 1.8t vag engines 150 ) and K03s (180 bhp engines,5mm difference to the compressor i think. its the compressor or exhaust turbine)
also look for the inlet manifold and injectors, plus a decent remap that will take in the parts and you should be looking at nearly the 225 bhp. i was told that i should get around 240 from the 180 engine (theres a bigger port on the valves as well as the upgrade to the K03s turbo and more boost )

the K04 shouldnt be a problem as the tt, s4 etc owners are upgrading to Garrett turbos so can be picked up for £400 seen one go for £290 just wished id had the money at the time

have a look at JSB auto designs

from the 180 engine thyve got a octavia vrs running 602 bhp and 506 ftlb
downside for 450 bhp your looking at around £11k but you get a lot for this
  • turbo
  • manifolds
  • exhaust
  • clutch
  • rebore to 1.9
  • conrods
  • piston heads
  • valves
  • injectors
  • intercooler
  • labour
  • custom code remap
  • and a lot more
smaller work is also available

also have a look in our discounts section of the forum for celtic tuning they told me i could see 225bhp from the 180 engine without anything other than the remap

and they should also give you 10% discount for mentioning torquecars

anything else just ask somebody bount to know

Thanks for the info. I read somewhere that pre 2002 (I think the year is right) chips can't be remapped and mine is a late reg 1999. Don't know about upgrading the turbo just yet - I may go for a new exhaust first but that will be subject to the wife's fiscal approval.

Hi Overwrite, really nice to have a fellow A3 1.8T along. Pgarners covered most of the points you raised. Unlike the game, real tuning is expensive but also much more fun ;). You already have a fine base to work from and the A3 Quattro is excellent in the wet, the 4 wheel drive will help you to leave most things standing...

Yep, they are a lovely car. I had a little windfall about 18 months ago and was thinking of buying a Golf GTi but I found the A3 at the price I was looking at paying and bought it. I really hadn't fully appreciated the spec until yesterday so I'm quite chuffed about that.

overwrite said:
Thanks for the info. I read somewhere that pre 2002 (I think the year is right) chips can't be remapped and mine is a late reg 1999. Don't know about upgrading the turbo just yet - I may go for a new exhaust first but that will be subject to the wife's fiscal approval.

it varies after 2001 i think they had to have a diagnostic port

on the bora (thinking the a3 will be pretty similer) just above the ashtray and below the heaters (or climate control) theres a bit of trim that comes away and theres a pinky purple port of youve got this then it should be able to be remapped.

it varies after 2001 i think they had to have a diagnostic port

on the bora (thinking the a3 will be pretty similer) just above the ashtray and below the heaters (or climate control) theres a bit of trim that comes away and theres a pinky purple port of youve got this then it should be able to be remapped.

I have a Pink port but not where you described. Its on the drivers side, near the bonnet release catch. Is that what I want? I can take a pic if needed?

yeah it sounds like it
means a remap will take a few minutes rather than stripping out the ecu and putting new chips in

also means that if you get a obd2 cable and vagcom software you can clear fault codes and record informations

ive used it to record rpm torque and boost and then used this to work out my cars bhp

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back