hello all

Gilly216

Car
Rover 216 coupe se
hi, just introducing myself, im Gilly, i have a rover 216 coupe se, i fitted a 2.0 turbo lump to it already, has a magnex stainless exhaust & decat, k&n, g-max sports suspension, have replaced the t25 with a t28, fitted a boost controller (only wound it up to 12psi from the standard 8), fitted grooved discs and ebc pads (the brakes still feel insufficient), and a few gauges to monitor the very high maintenance engine that loves to go bang regularly (like all rover engines), ive got the front off it at the mo replacing the power steering pump & radiator, & fitting a largefront mount intercooler.

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars car Forum :)

Feel free to have a look around the website, there are many varied and interesting articles to read on all manner of car modifying subjects.

Also, you may find our members project threads and photo gallery very useful as a source of inspirational ideas towards your own very special project!

Enjoy! :)

thanks, i hope so, i already have a plan in mind but i will need someones expertise to point out where im going wrong when i hit a speed bump, as we all do from time to time

May I as the site admin wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. It is really nice to meet you and I hope you'll be spending some time with us over the months to come.
You'll find us one of the friendliest and most helpful car tuning forums around.

What plans do you have for your car? I'm sure we can give you lots of ideas and suggestions if you need any. I had a 220 GTi for a while :D (and I loved it despite the breakdowns and pain it gave me, I should have gone for the 1.6 Honda powered one instead.

Do feel free to chip in on our other topics and discussions, we are all here to share our passion for cars. Being friendly and helpful is a forum rule here and I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

Welcome to TorqueCars :bigsmile:

How many miles has the engine done? When pushed they really ought to go forged route as they can become fragile when running the standard internals. What goes bang with yours? Klinger head gaskets are a good upgrade from what I hear then the rest depends on the depth of your pockets. What bhp are you running and hoping to run?

Thanks, breakdowns & pains a way of life for rover owners isnt it haha. My 216 coupes a 98 model so it had a rover lump in it anyway, they stopped putting honda engines in 200s & 400s in 96, the same time they stopped putting 2.0s in 200s and turbo engines in 200s & 400s.

The engines done over 100,000 miles but i couldnt tell you any better than that. I've got a stripped down lump which im going to forge once all the ancilliaries are upto spec. I,ve cracked a head, warped one, blown the oil seals on the turbo (t25 before i fitted the t28) and burned out a set of piston rings (in the lump i have stripped down). Klinger gaskets are good but im not going to fit one until i forge the lump in the garage and use arp head & bottom end bolts too. I cant run over 12psi without risking cracking stock pistons and cheap £8 gaskets seem to handle that

I know of a very well spec'd T16 ZR going cheap! Also know someone who has built a forged T16 and hoping for 400bhp when finally sorted, cost him a bit mind and still very usable on the road. Sounds like yours needs some TLC and perhaps new parts to become reliable. Heat issues seem to be the one problem you are having and is probably due to poor maintenance over the years. Rovers and heat don't mix too well, but the T-series were reliable if looked after.

yeah, heats definately an issue with mine, more so with the lump the piston rings went in, but the present engine still likes to get a little too warm for my liking. A turbo cooler should sort the problem out. its a poor design when boiling water from the turbo is then sucked straight into the block to cool that down isnt it

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back