Headlight Law

StevieDB9

Road Burner
Car
Ford Focus 1.4
Hey, came across a wee bit of information that i found surprising. According to rule 113 of the highway code you can legally drive in a 30 mph zone at anytime of night with just your sidelights on as long as its a lit stretch of road.

Did anyone else think that at night headlights must be used at all times or is it just me? :confused:

Interesting. I'm sure a lot of motorists would try flashing me to warn me. (Their lights!;))

I thought you needed full lights on after lighting up time even in lit areas so this is news to me.

hes right
You MUST
ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226)
Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).
[Laws RVLR regs 3, 24, & 25, (In Scotland - RTRA 1984 sect 82 (as amended by NRSWA, para 59 of sched 8))]

but i would flash the lights at anyone with just sidelights most newer cars you can hardly see them

yeah that is a point actually. most newer cars the sidelights seem to be sort of enclosed off, not like older cars where the sidelight in situated usually in the headlight reflector. like my dad just got one of the new ka's and the sidelight is completely seperate.

hmm, anyways, fitted ultra bright smt led sidelights to my focus. so bright they light up the whole driveway but shhhhhh, not strictly legal :S

i am running amber front side on the trans am is how they are made in the states do have a light side light as well but they will be moved so you cant see them that well

that was always the case over here, and in my opinion its stupid
you dont see the car til its up close

i think it should be banned

its one of the reasons that i run amber lights as you can see them more then the side light as they are a bigger light and plus you hear it before you see it so no worrys there

but i did not know about the law before tonight but will have the headlights on anyway dont want to get pulled over if i can help it sure they can find something on it

like no rear fog wide rear wheels that come out of the arch ect