Greetings --

maguserroris

Salutations!

I happened upon Torque.Cars while searching for some information on the web. The community looks really friendly, and if my first impression serves correct, a great place to ask all my car questions, and eventually donate some hard earned experience from the uncommon builds I have in mind.

A bit about myself:

I live in the southern U.S. where it's hot and muggy for a good 3/4 of the year. I'm 20yrs, working full-time and a full-time student. Thus, I have no cash to carry out my mods, but I have so many ideas for swaps and show-quality restorations! And... (what you've been waiting for...) my vehicle is a 1995 Toyota Camry LE. Pretty plain, but I have big plans for it.

If you want to know more about my nifty little ideas for the Camry, or about my fascination w/ Toyota, just ask. Currently though, I'm on a mission to get a few questions answered. (I feel dumb asking, but we've all got to begin somewhere, no?)

-I'm running a 2.2L I4, EFI, DOHC. The only modifications I've done to it, are a set of 215/50-17 Nexen tires on MSR Style 44 rims, A cheap conical air filter, and a pretty new battery.

After getting rid of the old battery, I felt a significant increase in responsiveness, but still I get very slow acceleration (even w/ the pedal floor'd). What could be causing this?

I took a shot in the dark, and guessed it might be the Catalytic Converter clogging, or a sensor failing somewhere, giving the ECU the wrong data. Any ideas? (Lemme know if I need to take this question to a more appropriate thread)

Anywho, there's my introduction, my reason for being here. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with this community and one day join the big-boy group and post some pics worthy of notice. :D

Hi and a very warm welcome to TorqueCars - nice to have you along. We already have quite a few members from the US with us.;)

The old battery could have been providing a lower voltage so when the engine was under load the spark strength was reduced and the knock sensor was backing off the fuelling. It could also have been a bad earth connection causing sensors to lose their data send slots etc...

On a lighter note (pun intended) the old battery may have been very heavy compared to the new light weight one.:lol: ;)

Throttle responsiveness can be improved dramatically with a fuel pressure boost valve. FSE make good ones - not sure if you can get them from the us.

Is the car performing within expected parameters? We can get more detailed in the Toyota forum - so post up something there and we'll continue this discussion.

In the meantime - have a great time on TorqueCars.

Hello and welcome to the group! Glad to see another American face!

If you saw gains just by changing the battery, then you may need to look into giving it a tune up- new plus wires, dist cap( not sure how the Toyotas are set up -coil on plugs?) those are just a few places to start. How many miles are on the car and what kinda condition is the car in? Has it been taken car of or ragged out? If its been taken care of with low miles then it also might be a sensor. If it has been ragged then there is the possobilty that it could ba a cat problem. What other sysmtoms are there? Idling ok? Checked fuel filter lately?

As far as mods for the car, there is always a few cheap mods you can do to every car! You just have to be creative!

Once again welcome and feel free to ask all the questions you need to. No question is dumb if you are trying to learn!

hey welcome...
good to see someone whos got the same engine as i do and trust me these engines have got a pretty good bottom end torque...
iv already sent a few things in and many more to come..
please post a pict of ur 5s-fe!!!!

welcome

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back