Greetings from a Type R

dr weaver

Hi all. Got a 2004 CTR, Nighthawk Black, three weeks ago, and feel I should take it fairly seriously - hence joining up.

The brakes seemed crappy when I first picked it up, so put some EBC Turbogroove discs and Yellowstuff pads on all four corners, but I can't say I'm impressed. The car stops... eventually. Might have to splash out for Brembo calipers and some proper discs.

Aside from that, Tanabe upper and lower struts are on the way, and I'm eyeing up Eibach or Tanabe coilovers.

I'm in two minds as to what to do about engine Modifications. As a first step, induction looks and sounds very impressive, but returns relatively little. I'm keen to keep the Vtec as reliable as possible throughout all this, and I'm aware that chipping can mean twice as much servicing, so I'm umming and arring.

Any tips for the best torque Modifications that cause the least amount of trouble on a Vtec?

Incidentally, why does the word filter turn the word "m o ds" into "Modifications", capitalised?

Cheers,

weaver

Last edited:
Alright mate, welcome to TorqueCars! Have you thought about a turbo? Use the turbo in the low revs until the vtec kicks in. What other plans do you have?

Hi and welcome - I'll look into the M O DS thing for you. Its only supposed to do it in the titles! Ah well

Nice to have you along. A lot of guys rate exhaust headers as well as induction kits on those. Don't let the extra serving put you off - that will be the hidden cost of the remap. It will at least keep the car reliable.

Hey and welcome mate. i wouldnt worry about the vtec its pretty much a bullet proof system the original vtec never had any issues from when it was 1st introduced until it went out, became the i-vtec which the CTR wll have, from what i can remember its basically gives 3 power bands rather than the 2 the normal vtec gives.

have you thought about a vtec controller to lower limits, get the car into the vtec bands more quickly.

Cheers guys!

Pgamer: Yes, I've had a read-up about vtec controllers... it's looking pretty attractive at the mo.

Prince: As to turbo - this is a longer term ambition, perhaps in a year or two! I'd like to stay naturally aspirated until I've done my best with all the other options. I'm not planning on turning this car into the space shuttle - I do quite value a reasonable MPG return in the current climate - but I do also enjoy a bit of speed. What a predicament!

Wayne: Cheers - exhaust headers... I'll look into this. I'm fairly new to all this stuff!

I'm also interested in getting a sports cat, as long as the car doesn't end up sounding like a long fart in a bathroom.

Aside from this, I'd like to get into weight reduction. I really want to work out what a Seibon hood will look like on a black Type R. Most of the pics I've seen have been small and crappy and don't give a clear idea. And I'm perfectly sure that getting any carbon fibre bits will encourage all sorts of retarded comments such as "what happened to your bonnet?"

But then, if I'm serious about weight reduction I'll have to get the sub out of the boot... awww.

dr weaver for some reason that last post went into the mod queue.
you could always paint the carbon fibre so it looks like its just stanard.

look at getting a small, say 8" sub in the boot rather than a 12" or 15" one. best of both worlds

Odd...

Nah, I wouldn't want to paint CF - it looks sweet! The only thing to do is ignore the idiots.

Edit: Dude, sorry, I noticed I spelled your name incorrectly on my last post - my apologies.

dr weaver for some reason that last post went into the mod queue.
you could always paint the carbon fibre so it looks like its just stanard.

look at getting a small, say 8" sub in the boot rather than a 12" or 15" one. best of both worlds

(The post went to the mod queue because it had a www. in it and looked like a link. Sorry about that - you can only program a machine it can't use common sense.

Let us know how you get on with the mods - i'm sure lots of other are curious as to what you decide.

Cheers dude.

Okay: just fitted my J's Racing upper front brace, which was easypeasy. Then hoisted the car up to stick the lower Tanabe H brace on: this turned out to be trickier. When I took the lower front bolts out, the weight of the wheels pushed on the control arm ball joint, which promptly vanished between the chassis and the subframe. I didn't know this would happen, because I'm daft. So I lowered the car a bit, which caused the wheels to pull the arms back out. Then I hit the control arms gently with a large hammer until the bolt-holes lined back up. After that, I could bolt the brace on.

Went out for some hard cornering, and it responded nicely. Torsional rigidity is much improved. The wheels really dig in harder, and the suspension takes on more of the work. They look sweet too: the J's Racing bar really tarts up the bay, and you can see the red Tanabe brace between the front wheel and the wheelarch.

Just been taking a look at a V-tec controller unit. Looks good for £300, but I'll need to find a pro to fit it.

The spend goes on. I just realised that if I bought everything I want for this car, I will end up spending a futher £15,000. Which is, frankly, stupid.

(The post went to the mod queue because it had a www. in it and looked like a link. Sorry about that - you can only program a machine it can't use common sense.

Let us know how you get on with the mods - i'm sure lots of other are curious as to what you decide.

Hello again yall.

Hopefully I'll be able to post messages now!

Since I was last here I've fitted a Magnex exhaust to my EP3, which sounds awesome, looks great, and seems to have added slightly to the performance. Needless to say my mechanic says it was a waste of money as the bore is only marginally wider than the OE. But then, he wanted me to spend about £800 on some rare Japanese imported catback (not including fitting), to which I said, "hrmm." I tried to explain I really wanted it, but that I'm currently broke.

I'm just about to collect the car from a full service. More on the cost when I get the bill, but it ought to be £405 quid. More or less all fluids replaced, plus plugs and air filter. No point in actually upgrading the air filter as I'm looking at a Gruppe M induction kit.

But at this rate I think I'll have to ask Santa for one.

Or ramraid a local 7-11 or bank! :lol: It is so expensive modding cars sometimes and we all have to make compromises.

Haa! Uhrrm... well, moving swiftly on...

I'd like to know more about... torque dampers.

Opinions? Who has one? A worthwhile addition for the money, or a pointless bauble? Are some torque dampers better than others?

Let's hear it!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back