Gear indicator

StevieDB9

Road Burner
Car
Ford Focus 1.4
ok, so does anyone who knows more about electronics than me (i.e. everyone) have any idea if it is at all possible to wire up a circuit to have a digital gear display on the dash?

You'd either have to wire up some elaborate microswitches on the selector gate or take the information from the ECU if, indeed the ECU even has such information. If your car doesn't have cruise control then it's likely that microswitches are the only way.

Why do you need it though? Rev counter should give you enough information.

Ok but that would be just pointless. I assume you would just need to buy something that does just that and that will have instuctions with it.

only as pointless as the light to indicate that your headlights are on

But that light isn't that pointless when you've been driving at night and it gets light and you forget to turn the lights off when the sun rises. You only have to look down at the gearstick to tell what gear your in.

cheers, i was thinking maybe some type of "x-y" differentiator using potentiometers but dont know much about electronics

You don't need to go anywhere near that far as the gears are discreet items ie. 1-2-3-4-5-6-N-R

You just need a set of switches on the selector arms or the gate. You have no need, for example to record gear 1.27, for example. It's one position or one of the others.