Gauge Identification

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
One for the older members, I think :)

This Speedo came as part of a car repair garage clearout I won on eBay a few years back. Initially thought it was from a Triumph Herald, but have since realised it isn't. It has been suggested that it may be from a BMC van. Anyone recognise it? I want to sell it on eBay but need to know what it fits.

Diameter is approx 140mm.

Attachments

• speedo.jpg
    speedo.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 8
  • speedo (1).jpg
    speedo (1).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 3
One for the older members, I think :)

This Speedo came as part of a car repair garage clearout I won on eBay a few years back. Initially thought it was from a Triumph Herald, but have since realised it isn't. It has been suggested that it may be from a BMC van. Anyone recognise it? I want to sell it on eBay but need to know what it fits.

Diameter is approx 140mm.

It might even be from an Austin Maxi - 1969 ish.

This looks the same as the original in my '62 Ambassador, with the 40mph being replaced by the main beam indicator.

And I just asked me dad and though he too can not state with certainty, he is of the same opinion as he feels it looks very familiar.

Agreed, but it could be reached and no 'normal' production car reaches the top speed shown on the gauge. The Ford Anglia has 90mph on the gauge but topped out around 75.

I think the Maxi 2 HLS (all of 1748cc) with - wait for it - TWIN SU carbs could probably get to 100mph with it's barnstorming 87bhp.

So this gauge is probably from something earlier which topped out below that speed. Morris Oxford, perhaps?

This is the speedo currently residing in her indoors little ford focus ;)

ATT609639.jpg