Flyby wire

crowley

Torque Junkie
Car
MyBotchedHeap
OK, I've always found flyby throttle's to be less responsive then cables. Someone was bragging about his bike recently, saying how responsive the FBW throttle is because is fibre optic.

Maybe bikes are different but I'm pretty sure most people would agree that FBW throttle are a bit slow compared to cable...

Agree?

It depends on the manufacturers setup really, I've driven both good and bad (Vauxhall was the worst ever setup but it was only a basic diesel engine and it seemed to take almost a whole second to work out I wanted to accelerate). Most cars are set up for economy and this creates a light throttle effect. There are various maps and plugin boxes which sharpen up the throttle response.

[QUOTE="obi_waynne, post: 287314, member: 2it seemed to take almost a whole second to work out I wanted to accelerate).QUOTE]

That's most diesels I've ever driven!

Mercs are the worst FBW throttle on the market at the minute but ( as obi says ) there are various plug and play mods on the market that almost eliminate this pedal lag. Like anything tho some are better than others.
Ive tried a couple of these and i aint gona advertise but the one i stuck with is very good indeed|B

Yeah Lexus aint too hot either but thankfully not a patch on the Merc pedal. Driving some Merc autos is like going back to dial up internet:woot:

I was going FBW but the more I read the less I liked so ive stayed with a cable. I had 4 throttle bodies so it needed a rather big motor to drive them so space became a prob as well.

Or a motor per body like BMW's S62 engine. Eight separate motors. Bavarian overkill to solve a problem which no one actally had in the first place !!! At least it will be reliable. If VW did it the motors would be £800 each and need replacement - as a set - every four years.

The only thing I dislike about some mechanical cable setups is the floppy pedal feel when cruise control is active.

Fly By Wire has it's place and I have no problem with it per se. Then again, I have no problem with a decent mechanical setup either. FBW does allow some tuning of the response curve via remapping but that's not a decision maker for me either.